• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To AC or Not to AC in Northeast

72ITB

AC or No AC  

11 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in the northeast would you keep AC on your 02?

• YES, are you freaking kidding me? I would die without AC
    • NO, roll down the window, lose 75lbs and get those 2hp's back

I believe the answer depends on how you use your '02.  When my '76 was my daily driver ('76 through '83), I couldn't imagine going without A/C, in the Northeast.  But now that I drive '02's 2,000 miles annually, in mostly nice weather, the A/C argument is certainly less compelling.  But I have no regrets that I had the '76's A/C system restored during its 2011-12 mechanical restoration.

The tii came to me without A/C, but with clear remnants of A/C in it's prior life: firewall holes, evaporator drain hole, compressor pulley, etc.  I have a Behr unit waiting to go into it -- when we overhaul the engine -- but I would emphasize I believe it is an expensive luxury, one that would see relatively little use.

I don't disagree with Barney's characterization of '02 A/C.  At best, it works great on an 80-degree day!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

I believe the answer depends on how you use your '02.  When my '76 was my daily driver ('76 through '83), I couldn't imagine going without A/C, in the Northeast.  But now that I drive '02's 2,000 miles annually, in mostly nice weather, the A/C argument is certainly less compelling.  But I have no regrets that I had the '76's A/C system restored during its 2011-12 mechanical restoration.

The tii came to me without A/C, but with clear remnants of A/C in it's prior life: firewall holes, evaporator drain hole, compressor pulley, etc.  I have a Behr unit waiting to go into it -- when we overhaul the engine -- but I would emphasize I believe it is an expensive luxury, one that would see relatively little use.

I don't disagree with Barney's characterization of '02 A/C.  At best, it works great on an 80-degree day!

Regards,

Steve

Until,, that is, you update it with a Sanden style compressor, the largest parallel flow condenser you can squeeze into the nose, a corresponding condenser fan and  seal the all the other air ingresses you can find.

It's good for 83F days then! ;-)

Actually it's better than that. Search the forum.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ruh-roh, time for Rob's annual a/c rant.

The single biggest bit of misinformation about the 2002 is that the air conditioning can't be made to blow cold and thus it should be pitched in c.d.iesel's neighbor's pool.

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

1) Install a Sanden-style compressor with the "Hobie Dave" bracket.

2) Install the biggest parallel flow condenser that'll fit in the nose.

3) Install the biggest fan that'll fit on the condenser.

4) Do the a/c rejuvenation you need to do with any vintage system (disassemble and flush the evaporator, replace the expansion valve prophylactically, replace every hose, new receiver-dryer).

5) Thoroughly leak-test.

6) Recharge with good old fashioned R12 (still legally available, about $25/can as opposed to $15 for R134a).

I refurbed my tii and my Bavaria this way, and you can hang meat in the cabin.

If you don't want a/c, fine, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it's because you can't HAVE cold a/c. I drive my cars to The Vintage and other shows in the South, and it gets more than hot enough on Memorial Day Weekend to use it. I vividly remember driving home from The Vintage a few years back and coming across Pennsylvania when the temperature and humidity were both over 90. I was in my Bavaria with cold air. I passed two guys in a tii whose sweat was just flying off their brows, and I thought "how's that R75/2 working for you NOW?"

Sorry.

--Rob

Edited by thehackmechanic
clarity
  • Thanks 1

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

2 hours ago, thehackmechanic said:

Ruh-roh, time for Rob's annual a/c rant.

The single biggest bit of misinformation about the 2002 is that the air conditioning can't be made to blow cold and thus it should be pitched in c.d.iesel's neighbor's pool.

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

1) Install a Sanden-style compressor with the "Hobie Dave" bracket.

2) Install the biggest parallel flow condenser that'll fit in the nose.

3) Install the biggest fan that'll fit on the condenser.

4) Do the a/c rejuvenation you need to do with any vintage system (disassemble and flush the evaporator, replace the expansion valve prophylactically, replace every hose, new receiver-dryer).

5) Thoroughly leak-test.

6) Recharge with good old fashioned R12 (still legally available, about $25/can as opposed to $15 for R134a).

I refurbed my tii and my Bavaria this way, and you can hang meat in the cabin.

If you don't want a/c, fine, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it's because you can't HAVE cold a/c. I drive my cars to The Vintage and other shows in the South, and it gets more than hot enough on Memorial Day Weekend to use it. I vividly remember driving home from The Vintage a few years back and coming across Pennsylvania when the temperature and humidity were both over 90. I was in my Bavaria with cold air. I passed two guys in a tii whose sweat was just flying off their brows, and I thought "how's that R75/2 working for you NOW?"

Sorry.

--Rob

Yes, Rob, but the Bavaria's A/C was always 4 notches above '02 A/C, due mostly to the additional space available, but also due to factory installation....

By the by, where the heck have you been?  We've missed you!

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I got laid off by Bentley Publishers in October and sought refuge in my old geophysics job, which sent me to Colorado for two months. I just got back Thursday night. I thought I had more geophysics work in the new year, but that got delayed 'till March. So I'm undergoing a little bit of upheaval. I'll be fine.

It took an a/c related comment to get me out from under my rock :^)

But the a/c in the tii really does get frigid, just like the Bavaria. The one in the 3.0CSi isn't as cold because 1) I did that one before parallel flow condensers were a thing, and 2) I used R134a.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

1 hour ago, thehackmechanic said:

Thanks Steve. I got laid off by Bentley Publishers in October and sought refuge in my old geophysics job, which sent me to Colorado for two months. I just got back Thursday night. I thought I had more geophysics work in the new year, but that got delayed 'till March. So I'm undergoing a little bit of upheaval. I'll be fine.

It took an a/c related comment to get me out from under my rock :^)

But the a/c in the tii really does get frigid, just like the Bavaria. The one in the 3.0CSi isn't as cold because 1) I did that one before parallel flow condensers were a thing, and 2) I used R134a.

Rob,

I'm sorry to hear the Bentley gig didn't work out long term: I thought it was a great outlet for your skills.  I'm confident, however, that you'll find other, equally-interesting opportunities.

Best regards,

Steve

Not sure if this helps you, but my brother-in-law handed down a very well maintained 75 to me and even with the old York compressor that sucker blows pretty cold. Just because Rob is my hero and I am also taking advantage of a ton of upgrades, I'm changing to a sanden style compressor, bigger condenser and fan and changing to Red Tek refrigerant (a very efficient R12 equivalent refrigerant) I think I will still be blowing cold.  

To me AC is like a parachute. It's better to have it and not use it, than not have it when you need it.. unless you are on the track, why not have it just in case you need it?

PS: I was told many times "you won't need AC in Oregon" let's just say, I was lied to many times....

Edited by Vicleonardo1
Added words

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.