• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bumper rubber strip clip and rubber bushing

echappe

The bushing goes over one of the bolts that hold the bumper ends through the body panel. It basically spaces off the bumper from the body. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 hours ago, Ringworm02 said:

Those type of clips were not used on my '72. The clips I had had threaded ends, like this:

Image result for bmw 2002 trim clips

+1.  Many prior discussions on the rubber trim strip on the Roundie bumpers.  My 73 also uses the sliding "stud" mounts.  Not sure when BMW switched from the clip type.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

This is what I was referring to, the top of the "T" on the clip has a distinct variation from side to side. I think the larger side of this "T" corresponds with the slightly wider and deeper track on the bottom side of the rubber strip. I looked at a couple hundred posts on the rubber strip but none discussed this

IMG_1248 (2).jpg

The parts book pages (51-7 & 51-9 dated 7/75) shows that only 2 of the "stud" type are used (extreme ends of the rubber strip) and 15 clamps for the rest.

Later (particularly "aftermarket") bumpers had holes rather than the slots, thus the necessity to use all "stud" type.

Doc1.docx

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

3 hours ago, jgerock said:

You think I have aftermarket bumpers on my 73?  All of the clips I removed from the rear rubber strip were the stud type.

D0F563BE.jpg

F27EB871.jpg

Don't know Jim; I'm just quoting the parts book.

My Nov '73 Touring had the clips plus the two studs, but the replacement centre bumper and RH corner bumper, have holes, not slots.

Ok, as you were. My Oct '71 parts book shows 17 studs holding the rubber strip, so I guess BMW changed to the clips later. Now I wonder why my replacement bumpers have holes in them!

Edited by 02Les
added text

Les

FAQ Member #17

A question off the topic- the clips/studs holding the rubber strip on the rear bumper are rusty and falling off.  Any suggestions on how to replace the clips? Are you guys suggesting the treaded bolts/studs  are not embedded in the rubber strip, but rather held in the rubber strip's groove? Thanks 

Edited by mbausa2001
Typo

33 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Don't know Jim; I'm just quoting the parts book.

My Nov '73 Touring had the clips plus the two studs, but the replacement centre bumper and RH corner bumper, have holes, not slots.

Ok, as you were. My Oct '71 parts book shows 17 studs holding the rubber strip, so I guess BMW changed to the clips later. Now I wonder why my replacement bumpers have holes in them!

Yes, I think the clips reflect a shift of the replacement parts from studs to clips.  My '76 used only studs originally but the parts books now only specify clips.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 hours ago, mbausa2001 said:

A question off the topic- the clips/studs holding the rubber strip on the rear bumper are rusty and falling off.  Any suggestions on how to replace the clips? Are you guys suggesting the treaded bolts/studs  are not embedded in the rubber strip, but rather held in the rubber strip's groove? Thanks 

You can replace the fasteners by themselves. The groove in the rubber strip will need cleaning out of the rusty bits. The rubber strip was pretty expensive when I bought a new one back in 2007.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

You can replace the fasteners by themselves. The groove in the rubber strip will need cleaning out of the rusty bits. The rubber strip was pretty expensive when I bought a new one back in 2007.

May 2013 the euro version (no holes for horns) 51 12 1 815 604 was $119.95. I think the US version was a few $'s less.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

13 hours ago, Conserv said:

Yes, I think the clips reflect a shift of the replacement parts from studs to clips.  My '76 used only studs originally but the parts books now only specify clips.

Best regards,

Steve

Gordon Bennett!! I now need 17 of these studs to fit my new bumpers. The bloody things are $13 each! I despair.

Les

FAQ Member #17