• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 side windos seal (touring vs sedan)

D.martijn

Hey guys,

I've been slowly ordering parts for my BMW 2002 touring that I'm restoring and noticed when ordering seals, that the rear left side window seal isn't available anymore for the touring.

Schermafbeelding%202016-12-24%20om%2010.

I was wondering if the sedan seal would fir the touring as I've read a few time you have to cut the seal to lenght for the sedan?

Anyone that has tried this or could measure the seal so I can compare with my old worn window seal?

Thanks,

Martijn

Hey Martijn,

I'm in the same boat as you.

I scoured everywhere for a pair of Touring seals to no avail, so I bought a pair of sedan seals and measured against my old Touring seals they are 2.5" short at the top and the lower portion is 8" short (if the sedan Owners had to cut the seals to fit, why couldn't BMW have made them long enough for the Touring?)

I intend to piece together (glue) the good part of my original seals to the new sedan ones. Should look ok when the window is closed, and hopefully not too bad when its open (the window never stays open anyway!). Haven't tried it yet as my car has only just returned from the body shop.

Don't loose your B-pillar alloy trim pieces as they are long NLA too........ask me how I know.

Well, that's just dandy. Just looked up on Maximillian's site, and both Touring rear vent window seals now show as available at $63.25 each. We will see after the Holidays.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

21 hours ago, 02Les said:

Hey Martijn,

I'm in the same boat as you.

I scoured everywhere for a pair of Touring seals to no avail, so I bought a pair of sedan seals and measured against my old Touring seals they are 2.5" short at the top and the lower portion is 8" short (if the sedan Owners had to cut the seals to fit, why couldn't BMW have made them long enough for the Touring?)

I intend to piece together (glue) the good part of my original seals to the new sedan ones. Should look ok when the window is closed, and hopefully not too bad when its open (the window never stays open anyway!). Haven't tried it yet as my car has only just returned from the body shop.

Don't loose your B-pillar alloy trim pieces as they are long NLA too........ask me how I know.

Well, that's just dandy. Just looked up on Maximillian's site, and both Touring rear vent window seals now show as available at $63.25 each. We will see after the Holidays.

Oke, looks like I'll also have to go this route.. unless I somehow can get a hold on them.

Thanks for the info

5 hours ago, 02Les said:

My request for both left & right side seals failed. The supplier states that both sides are discontinued, so if you can get one side you've done well.

Les,

Thanks for letting us know the results of your request. :)

Fortunately, my Touring seals are in decent shape for now.

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

I would either send the folks at Walloth Nesch an email or keep checking their website for updates.  On my 69, I was only able to purchase certain new wiper linkage parts, then a few months later, the other ones I needed were back in stock.

Here is the link to their quarter window parts

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/vehicle-trim-glasses/bmw-1502-2002-turbo/catalog-picture-51-36.html

As mentioned above,  you can order (and pay for) seemlingly NLA parts from Maximillion but they may or may not be available.  Their response to me when I asked about this issue was that there is simply too many parts to keep up with.  Walloth Nesch has a good handle on this (BLUNT too if you ask before purchasing).

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

5 hours ago, jgerock said:

I would either send the folks at Walloth Nesch an email or keep checking their website for updates.  On my 69, I was only able to purchase certain new wiper linkage parts, then a few months later, the other ones I needed were back in stock.

Here is the link to their quarter window parts

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/vehicle-trim-glasses/bmw-1502-2002-turbo/catalog-picture-51-36.html

As mentioned above,  you can order (and pay for) seemlingly NLA parts from Maximillion but they may or may not be available.  Their response to me when I asked about this issue was that there is simply too many parts to keep up with.  Walloth Nesch has a good handle on this (BLUNT too if you ask before purchasing).

Jim

Been there, done that. W&N say they do not know if they will return.

Last December (2015) the Trg seals were quoted at $50 each, but NLA. Now they are $60 and still NLA. So that's a 20% increase for an NLA part.

I wonder if all BMW parts have increased that much in 12 months (the Euro to dollar rate is not to blame).

Les

FAQ Member #17

8 hours ago, jagg2029 said:

02Les would u mind to share photo that u have did it to us?

I will, but it's going to be a while yet.

Way to cold in my garage currently to work gluing seals in, and don't feel like trying to heat it's 900+ sq ft. Maybe March?

Les

FAQ Member #17

So I've been contacting a few people here in Europe.
Turns out there is a German guy that's going to start his own production of these rear side window seals.

They'll be made out of the original type foam rubber too! It's going to take 4-6 weeks until they are available

I'll keep you guys updated