• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 BMW 2002 paint code - Urgent

juane30m3

Good Morning, 

I was hoping someone could help me find out the paint code on my vehicle. I was under the impression that it was Atlantik Blau all along but after stripping the car of all the trim i am not so sure as I expose some areas that appear to be the original paint.  I have tried all the vin searches that I know of and BMW classic is closed until January 9th. I tried searching within the forum as well and no luck. The body shop is getting ready to order the paint and I want to be sure the original color is used. 

Any other help or resources would be greatly appreciated.

VIN 1671544

Thank you!

1. 2002.png

2. 2002.png

3. 2002.png

4. 2002.jpg

The paint under the marker lights does look like Riviera.  However, how do you know if that paint is even original?  If you really want originality, I'd tell the body shop to hold off until you can get an answer from BMW Classic.  How much is it going to bother you after the fact if you pick color X and it turns out Y was original?

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

53 minutes ago, juane30m3 said:

I would really like to keep the color original. Problem is the paint will be ordered before BMW classic will be able to respond to my e-mail. 

I work with digital imaging everyday, a digital photo is not a good representation of color.  I have seen Baikal, Atlantic, and Riviera look very similar in different photos.  The only satisfactory answer you will get will be from the vin.

A word of caution, do not get yourself wound up into a tizzy.  You have two options.

1) Guess

2) Wait

Good luck either way.

If it's even moderately important that you use the original color, and you'd prefer not to re-paint it twice, why would you consider re-painting before you hear from BMW Archives (email VIN to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com).  Stop guessing and get an actual answer!

VIN 1671544 was likely manufactured in January 1970.  I'm traveling and away from my color and upholstery brochures but I do see, from photos of the December 1968 brochure, that the only blues available on '02's as of December 1968 were Atlantik and Baikal Metallic (Nachtblau Metallic is offered on the 2000 CS, 2000 CA, and 2800 CS).  Those offerings could have changed by January 1970.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I was hoping one of the members here had another resource that could provide me the answer i was looking for. The car was just dropped off at the body shop and will begin to have the body work done tomorrow. Worse case i will ask him to hold off on the paint until i hear back from BMW.

...it's not like they'll be ready to shoot it by Friday.

These things take a bit more time than that, usually.

I think you'll have an answer before the shop wants to mix color.

And I suspect they'll be sympathetic if they have to wait a day or

2 to push it into the booth.

What's on there now looks metallic to me, which we all know ain't right.

What's under the hood looks Atlantik, what's under the markers looks

like something else.  

And let's face it- it's not a 67 Mach I Boss 351 MouseTang- if it's an original

BMW color, value isn't going to suffer.

You'll be fine.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Please wait until you hear back from BMW.   We are all guessing.

What color do YOU want to paint it?  My 71 VW was originally Clementine Orange but a PO painted it a horrible metallic red/orange.  I was going to have it painted Ford Thunderbird Teal but changed my mind and went with 1984 Porsche 944 Guards Red.   

We lie awake at night worrying about these things..

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

8 minutes ago, jgerock said:

...We lie awake at night worrying about these things..

Well, Jim,

Some of us with less...imagination, never lie awake thinking of a color decision.  We ask only, "What was the original color?"  And the matter is closed....

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

For '70-'71 four blues were available according to info I have.

Atlantik (paint code 041)

Riviera (paint code 036)

Baikal Metallic

Nachtblau Metallic

My vote is Riviera BUT wait until you hear from Germany.

Just found this photo of your trunk when the car was for sale July 2014.

B 2587 2l.jpg

Edited by 02Les
added photo

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17