• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Gauge Issue?

androvers

Attached is a picture of a coil behind my fuel gauge, have no idea what it is called but does not look good. The coil on the other side serving the temperature gauge, while not perfect, looks much more together. Could this be the reason my fuel gauge reads fairly accurately untill it gets down to about half a tank and then wants to stay there regardless of fuel usage? Any thoughts are appreciated. Any way to fix this?47b65c9f54ccfd04d330d9b935a6d9b9.jpg87df1752c79bb89a569c75869585a3fc.jpg

Your photos don't work - you need to have them hosted with a URL or attach them properly.

You might be able to clean the resistor/wire portion of the sender, inserted into the fuel tank.  There have been previous threads about this issue - seek them out via the Search bubble at the top right of each page.  Good luck!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I have searched the forum, for some reason I can indeed see the pictures through tap talk or on the FAQ web site, the copper coil I am referring to is behind the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster. Would be easier if you could see the picture!

1994 Montero LS
1976 BMW 2002

I use a laptop & see script but no pix.  I know what you are referring to behind the gauge.  Perhaps you can swap out a known good cluster with yours to see if that makes a difference.  Historically, the sender is more problematic (with respect to your description of your problem) than the gauge, but an additional ground wire between the temp & fuel gauge & the body can help.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I use a laptop & see script but no pix.  I know what you are referring to behind the gauge.  Perhaps you can swap out a known good cluster with yours to see if that makes a difference.  Historically, the sender is more problematic (with respect to your description of your problem) than the gauge, but an additional ground wire between the temp & fuel gauge & the body can help.

This appears to have worked, thank you, won't really know till I drain the tank some more.

I can't see your pics either.

Any road up........probably the float in the sender gets stuck half way down.

The one in my Touring had been doing that, so I took it out. The bloody thing had all but fallen apart. The bottom screen had fallen off and this little assy keeps the guide post at the correct distance from the centre of the sender and thus allows the float to smoothly motor up and down. Without the screen assy, the guide post did not lie vertical and stopped the float as it lowered.

As a side note, when taking my sender out of the tank, the outer tube then fell off. There was not much holding it to the top of the sender, so, it appears the bottom screen assy does most for keeping it all together. Not, it would seem, the greatest design.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If it's not a ground issue, I'd bet you need a new sender.  Be careful ordering a new sender - there are different types.  When my fuel gauge was acting wonky, and I knew it wasn't a ground problem, I called Blunt and he helped me get the correct one.  After that - no issues.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.