• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Euro 02 bumper question

Gordon

Years ago I converted my 74 tii from diving board bumpers to early US 02 bumpers .  I would like to remove the US spec rear bumper guards and go with the seam covers and Euro license plate lights in the bumper.   I would like to hear from anyone who's been there, done that on what parts are needed to convert from bumper guards to seam covers. When I tried to order bumper seam covers from Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent BMW, Carl told me the following; The joint covers are on "Euro Restrict". We need the North America registration of a corresponding vehicle to acquire them.  I guess I can order them from Walloth & Nesch.   Below are pics of what my tii currently looks like and the look I would like to have. My  US spec side marker lights have already been deleted and I have Euro front signal lights. The only thing remaining for a true Euro look is the rear bumper guard delete.

IMG_4473.jpg

rearafter.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Don't forget the tag lights in the center section of the bumper....and a euro license plate holder as well. The covers simply get bent over the seams; it doesn't feel right when you're bending them into place, but that's the deal.

Unbelievable that the seam covers are restricted now too. A big part of me thinks wtf do I still support these a-holes? Been in the game for so long and handed over a dump truck of cash but when we need a euro specific part we have to circumvent the dealer? Are we diluting the purity of the 'real' euro cars? They should concentrate on making a good car again and get over themselves.

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Bob02 is correct re: installation of seam covers.

I needed and used (and you might consider)...

• 2 seam covers (a L and a R) if you can find them (They are flimsy and seem unsubstantial; however, they work.), 
  • 1 long, wrap-around rubber bumper strip without the two holes for the (former) bumper guards bolts, and
  • (optional) 17 new T-bolts, nylon washers, and nuts to mount the rubber strip (IF your bumper has holes and not slots; dunno about slots).

You will probably find...

• the seam covers can be fiddly (sp?) and usually are PITA to install,
  • they will not seem to be able to be installed, 
  • you have to grind off the rounded tops of the 6 bolts which hold the 3 bumper sections together so the covers can be pressed onto and wrap around the bumper, and 
  • you have to press, fiddle, press, bend, fiddle, and bend the covers and their bottom tabs to complete their attachment.

You will be successful, so, not to worry.  Well worth the effort.  The "Euro Restrict" thing is new to me.  Dunno.  See fotos.

I opted for show-quality when I rechromed my bumpers, so I did not have the moral strength to cut slots for Euro bumper LP lights.

Larry

Cincinnati

IMG_3923.jpgIMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3914.jpgIMG_3916.jpg

One more thing:  There are two types of covers:  (i) smooth and even all the way around from the back edge to the bottom edge of the bumper and (ii) the same except a 1"or so wide indentation half way between the edges and into/onto which the rubber bumper strip rides. See photo of cover with the indentation.

Larry

a20792913d28d680fe98ef_m__63187.1417459367.500.659.jpg

FYI, those bumper guards (front and rear) were optional on Euro spec cars so they're perfectly acceptable for a "Euro-look" car.   You just had to pay extra for 'em over there.  Look at pictures of '02s at European meets and you see lots of 'em with bumper guards.

On US cars, they were "non-optional options" in that Hoffman ordered all his cars with all four bumper guards (an $8 "option" on my '69).

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

9 hours ago, mike said:

FYI, those bumper guards (front and rear) were optional on Euro spec cars so they're perfectly acceptable for a "Euro-look" car.   You just had to pay extra for 'em over there.  Look at pictures of '02s at European meets and you see lots of 'em with bumper guards.

cheers

mike

Popular on Euro round taillight cars, but rare on square light Euro cars.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I emailed Walloth & Nesch asking what parts were required to convert from bumper guards to seam covers and below is the reply. I'm no hurry to convert but I did order a set of bumper mounted license plate lights. I have a spare rear bumper that I scored for cheap off Craigslist that's identical to the one on my tii in the original post so I will use that one to cut the holes in rear bumper for the license plate lights.  Down the road, I can use that bumper for the new rubber strip and seam covers. 

Thanks for pics 2002#2 and everyone else insight

G-Man. 

The US rear bumper rubber has 2 holes for the bumper overriders. when you replace the overriders with the EURO covers, you have to change the bumper rubber.

please follow the links for the pictures:

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/rubber-for-rear-bumper-1971-up-51-05-18.html

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/bumper-trim-for-all-models-from-1971-up-left-51-05-20.html

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/bumper-trim-right-for-all-models-from-1971-up-51-05-19.html

Best regards

Albrecht Walloth
Dipl. Ing. Albrecht Walloth u. Alexander Nesch GbR

im Ohl 69

D-59757 Arnsberg

Phone: +49 (0) 2932 - 900 4511

Fax: +49 (0) 2932 - 900 4579

Email: info@wallothnesch.com

Internet: www.wallothnesch.com

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

49 minutes ago, arminyack said:

137 Euro for a length of rubber trim....eegads!

Take 19% off that price since we don't live in Germany which makes us exempt from paying the German 19% Value Added Tax (VAT).  The price doesn't include the shipping charge from Germany so plan on shipping charges as well.  I've had good experience with W&N when I'm searching for that hard to find part.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner