• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 FIREWALL INSULATION PAD

Vana2002

Hello everyone.

So I have been searching everywhere for the Firewall insulation pad for my 71 2002, I wasn’t able to find anything, its been on back order for a while. called Germany their saying hopefully the will start the production soon but no idea when. I called all the legendary Bmw 2002 restoration and part shops nobody has them I already post a topic in WTB section but I don’t think I will have any luck, I really want to get this project going because I had my engine bay assembly put on hold for about 2 months just because of that part, I wanted to see if there are any alternative ways to go about this I already know about the sound deadening material but to me after spending 20K on a project I personally think that would be too tacky, I was thinking I could stick same material that goes under the hood the padding but again I wanted to see what you guys thought..? Maybe post some pictures of different builds I know there are a lot of Masters and enthusiasts that they really know what they’re doing. I would also really appreciate if anyone can help me with purchasing one or might know anybody that has one for sale. Thank you very much everyone.

IMG_0086.JPG

The foam pads that fit on the underside of the hood would not be a suitable replacement.  Foil-backed sound deadening pad (from an audio supplier or the product from the home improvement store) would be better.  You could use acetone or paint thinner to remove any logos.

BMW doesn't seem to produce older parts until there is enough demand for them.  If they do have remaining parts in stock the price has been skyrocketing.  Good luck!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

18 minutes ago, Roundeie said:

Try this
http://www.lobucrod.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The site lists the working temp for this product as 450'F so that should work if paired with the right hi-temp adhesive and would at least look somewhat like the OEM pad 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

27 minutes ago, Roundeie said:

Try this
http://www.lobucrod.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This product was used on the under side of my hood and under the headliner.  Once the build gets done I'll be happy to report how well it worked :) 

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold

Why is this too important for you? Most classic cars that are restored don't have the insulation pads. I'd personally keep it as less as possible. I've relocated all electrical relays and wires to inside cabin behind the glovebox. Battery and wiper fluid tank also moved to rear boot. Insulation makes your engine bay look like recent cars. If you really want to go that route then make one yourself or use same colour ceramic paint. Here is a link to DIY job:

http://tedperkins.com/firewall_insulation.htm

Good luck

Its already been said.  BMW takes orders and when they hit the magic number they do the run. I went with DEI firewall insulation as recommended by Jake as Ive seen a bunch of cars he has done and it looks nice   60 bucks to do an 02  I just bought more for my 69

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEM3O0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

9 minutes ago, jimk said:

What's Blunt got to say.  I've seen new pads in pics on this board.

Jim,

The firewall insulation pads were available from BMW 3 or 4 years ago.  I believe it's just recently, as all stocks and inventories were depleted, that the crisis arose!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thank you guys for your response and ideas. personally if i end up not finding the pad within couple of days i'm going to leave it as it is. i really like the way it looks now without any padding i though maybe with that the car would look more OEM but will see. 

Vana2002...I had the same problem, could not find one or wait any longer...I ended taking the pieces of what was left of my old one and rapped it with the duramat sound proofing...used laquer thinner to remove ink/matter on duramat to a silver finish / it fit the profile / made holes easy to find...looked / worked better than I thought it would...good luck

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…