• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AU & UK Tii differences?

alixta

Just found out from group archive that my Tii was built March 28th, 1973 and UK delivered.

I don't know the history of the car before it's current 10 year rest so have no idea how it made it's way to Australia.

It's kinda cool to think it was loved/desired enough all those years ago to be privately shipped half way across the world.

I'm assuming AU spec cars are very similar if not the same as UK spec cars? Are there any notable differences?

AU cars are exactly the same as UK. They are classed as a Euro model. One day I am going to document all the differences between RHD and LHD given the relatively small number produced (and the relatively scarce amount of coverage there is). We seem to have a lot of autos in Australia (they would be rare in the U.K.) but then autos seem to be more favoured in general. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Quite a few. At the time there was a huge import tariff on foreign cars but this didn't apply to personal imports (though they were not supposed to be new). 

Not sure whether there was BMW imported TII's or whether the TII was only brought in privately. I have too small a sample size! Someone else might know. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

Yup that's the one I have. I saw that posting in the Aus section of this forum. However the owner who posted it on Carsales actually never ended up selling it for a good year. He just took the posting down. 

I later found the the same car advertised on Gumtree. Which is when I bought it. 

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

Alixta, I think all early OZ 02s were first delivered to the UK, until Australian compliance regs took over (not sure when) and they were sent direct.

Both my cars (carb not Tii) were delivered to the UK, the 71' then went to Melbourne, the 72' went to Perth (but I bought it in Melbourne).

HTH Beaner7102

Edited by Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

15 hours ago, Beaner7102 said:

Alixta, I think all early OZ 02s were first delivered to the UK, until Australian compliance regs took over (not sure when) and they were sent direct.

Both my cars (carb not Tii) were delivered to the UK, the 71' then went to Melbourne, the 72' went to Perth (but I bought it in Melbourne).

HTH Beaner7102

I'd be curious to see all the "delivered to" parties for the '02's now in AU.  Simeon's, a 1973, obviously went to BMW Australia, likely a wholly-owned subsidiary of BMW AG, created solely for imports into Australia.  And some (many?) '02's may have been privately imported.  Beaner, however, raises an interesting issue.  Before there was a "BMW Australia" -- which sounds akin to BMW North America, a subsidiary of BMW AG, and which took over the sole U.S. importer role circa January 1975 -- what existed?  Recall that for U.S. cars, "delivered to Hoffman Motors Corp, New York City" does NOT tell us about the car's physical delivery, but rather, it's legal delivery to the U.S. importer.  What if the pre-BMW Australia importer happened to be a U.K. entity?  The importer's legal domicile doesn't tell us where a car was physically first delivered.  Thus, the above statement, "delivered to Hoffman Motors..." does not provide a U.S. port of entry: it just says that Hoffman Motors assumed ownership and delivered the car through its U.S. retail dealer network.

So, Aussies....what do all your BMW Archives emails actually say, word for word?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 hours ago, Simeon said:

Quite a few. At the time there was a huge import tariff on foreign cars but this didn't apply to personal imports (though they were not supposed to be new).

I seem to remember my old man had to stump up 30% to import into NZ during the '60s. 

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 tii rhd VIN 2751676 was manufactured on March 28th, 1973 and delivered on April 03rd, 1973 to the UK. The original colour was Inka, paint code 022.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Dear Mr Cox,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 rhd VIN 1659566 was manufactured on March 1st, 1973 and delivered on March 16th, 1973 to the importer BMW (Australia) Pty. in Prahran (Vic.), Australia. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Christina Hartung

*******^**

rtheriaque wrote: