• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AU & UK Tii differences?

alixta

Dear Mr Pandit,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 tii rhd VIN 2751344 was manufactured on December 18th, 1972 and delivered on the same day to the importer BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd. in Portslade/Brighton/Sussex. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

5 hours ago, alixta said:

Dear Sir,

The BMW 2002 tii rhd VIN 2751676 was manufactured on March 28th, 1973 and delivered on April 03rd, 1973 to the UK. The original colour was Inka, paint code 022.

Yours sincerely,

Just "to the UK"?  That's the most vague/ least informative description I've yet seen on one of these Archive reports!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, rapandi said:

Dear Mr Pandit,

The BMW 2002 tii rhd VIN 2751344 was manufactured on December 18th, 1972 and delivered on the same day to the importer BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd. in Portslade/Brighton/Sussex. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

"BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd" sounds like the U.K. importer, hence your reasonable conclusion that your car was privately imported to Australia subsequently.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Mine is a little different again. My 22nd November 1972 build auto was ordered through BMW in Prahran and the original Brisbane based owner took factory delivery in early 1973.

She drove it around Europe for a few weeks then shipped it home from Athens. I purchased it off her in 2005.

So she got her monies worth - if you do the maths she owned it for 32 years and was 90 when she sold it to me!

21 minutes ago, zambo said:

Mine is a little different again. My 22nd November 1972 build auto was ordered through BMW in Prahran and the original Brisbane based owner took factory delivery in early 1973.

She drove it around Europe for a few weeks then shipped it home from Athens. I purchased it off her in 2005.

So she got her monies worth - if you do the maths she owned it for 32 years and was 90 when she sold it to me!

That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing. I bet she had a few stories. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 3 months later...

The BMW 2002 tii rhd VIN 2770892 was manufactured on March 05th, 1975 and delivered on March 27th, 1975 to Australia. The original colour was Sahara, paint code 006.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

Oh poo - I got a nondescript email as well.  I purchased in Melbourne,  Will just have to track down the Owners manual for more details if they are in there...

Interestingly based on my car's sale invoice it was sold by (& assumably delivered to) BMW Concessionaires G.B. Limited, yet that was not included on the info from BMW archives.

Also assuming as it was sold by the export division it didn't stay in the UK all that long?c2af5ad55d522bcf17e1c3038f23505d.jpg

Ok this will be a bit long but will interest some.

I got out my files because I thought I had documentation of the importer but it would seem I don't  I do have the original owners manual (nothing in there about delivery) and also the Service manual and authorised Service centres in Australia 

IMG_8704.thumb.jpg.92e4b7288fec2fccc643a0e9b43f485f.jpg

On the Service manual I found the predelivery inspection stamp, from Munich (München), which corresponds to my delivery date as per the email in my previous post:

IMG_8709.thumb.jpg.91de16601b07df2f3e89e5083fe8a579.jpg

Here's what they kindly inspected:

IMG_8711.thumb.jpg.3ede83708a504f15e8127b6a10ab28e2.jpg

Here's where it gets a little interesting.  The car was delivered to Australia according to BMW.  From the service records, I can barely make out the blurred stamp for the 5000 mile first service.  I'm sure it says 'Zurich'...wtf??

IMG_8714.thumb.jpg.f51f88ed71585c3ddf10fac4287347d9.jpg

The further services are all in Sydney:

IMG_8713.thumb.jpg.69258dc31d1c84deed9a5f69ed763d92.jpg

The odometer is currently on 92560km so I can assume it's been around at least once judging by the last entry at 90652 in September 1980.

I looked in the service location book for a centre in New South Wales/Sydney which featured the name 'Zurich' just for completeness but found none:

IMG_8716.thumb.jpg.bd825bdfadab0d7ef8e186be516403e1.jpg

Note the Prahan dealer, as mentioned by @Simeonearlier.  I also checked for centres in Victoria with the name 'Zurich' but found none.  I unfortunately don't have the listing for service centres in Switzerland and can't make out the rest of the stamp.

Could this mean that the car was driven in Europe for some time after being ordered to Australia? Something like what @zambowrote above? I can't get my head around it.

Daniel

Edited by GoldLion

1 hour ago, alixta said:

So all your manuals are in English? The one I have is in German, so I suspect is not the one that came with the car for UK delivery.

Yep all my manuals are in English.  I was very lucky to get them - when I picked up the car from the previous owner, having flown to Melbourne from Brisbane to do so, I was about to pull away when he said, "oh, do you want the original wheels and some parts?"  He had some 15 inch wheels on it which rubbed on the fenders, so I hastily accepted.  He brought out the original wheels (all of which fit into the boot), the manuals as shown above, the original jack, tool kit and triangle and the original and complete 'cushion' first aid kit.  The planets must have been aligned that day.  And she made it all the way back to Brisbane without missing a beat. 

2 hours ago, GoldLion said:

Here's where it gets a little interesting.  The car was delivered to Australia according to BMW.  From the service records, I can barely make out the blurred stamp for the 5000 mile first service.  I'm sure it says 'Zurich'...wtf??

IMG_8714.thumb.jpg.f51f88ed71585c3ddf10fac4287347d9.jpg

The further services are all in Sydney:

IMG_8713.thumb.jpg.69258dc31d1c84deed9a5f69ed763d92.jpg

Daniel

Looking at the hand-written entry (crossed 7) for the 5000 mile service, I would think it was done in Europe.

I have a 1977 BMW Service Europa booklet and it shows a total of 12 BMW Dealers in Zurich.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

@02Les I have tried to get some more detail in the picture with some filters - can you make out enough to cross reference it to any service stations in Zurich?  If not, could you post a photo of the relevant page in your service booklet? Many thanks,

Daniel

ps I also cross my sevens.

IMG_8721.thumb.jpg.0aadf372d0c00ea76b665db4c1280677.jpg

On 13 January 2017 at 0:47 PM, Simeon said:

At the time there was a huge import tariff on foreign cars but this didn't apply to personal imports (though they were not supposed to be new). 

Could this explain @zambo and my apparent situation of an Australian 'delivered' car which has in fact been driven around Europe for a bit?  I am honestly puzzled and intrigued by this.  Hopefully some of the gurus will be able to help.  

The reason why all of the service dockets are Camperdown are because it was a grey import. Bought in Europe (presumably Switzerland) and then shipped over by the 10,000 mile service. Would be interested to see who was the BMW concessionaire in those days. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

6 hours ago, GoldLion said:

@02Les I have tried to get some more detail in the picture with some filters - can you make out enough to cross reference it to any service stations in Zurich?  If not, could you post a photo of the relevant page in your service booklet? Many thanks,

Daniel

ps I also cross my sevens.

IMG_8721.thumb.jpg.0aadf372d0c00ea76b665db4c1280677.jpg

I also cross my 7s, mainly 'cos I worked in Germany & Austria a lot during the '70s.

Here's a pic from the Europa Service Booklet.

My vote would be "Garage Witikon"

DSCN2872.thumb.JPG.07560a4958308b67d787949bf45a705c.JPG

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17