• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ok guys need help

pickelson

Is there any reason not  to buy  this ? price $15k

plans  to make it right looks like it was half finished or driven hard ?

How much to finish it ? 

Told no rust @ all checking the car out  tomorrow 

car isnt  titeled as a tii but the engine is with a carb conversion

All the  input appreciated Im a new member with

tons of interest

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-BMW-2002-Coupe-/201770435445?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2efa748375:g:LXcAAOSwUsJYVyIs&item=201770435445

It may be ok. 

None of the pics show any of the rust-prone areas.

No real word on motor condition.

it was listed for auction out of CT in 2013. 

And is now... not listed (sold? pulled?).

It does have a set of cams tho. Can't get that just anywhere.

In other words, whoever wrote the ad copy is clueless.

Whoever took the photos is clueless.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The only part of that car that is/was a tii is the badge on the rear panel.  A 253xxxx VIN indicates this car began life as a carbureted automatic and was then converted to a 5 speed.  

Based on the pictures of the engine compartment and the brake fluid level, I suspect there's a leak in the hydraulics (brake or clutch) somewhere.  Interestingly the 2013 picture shows the same low brake fluid level!

When you do go to inspect it, take a weak magnet with you and employ it at spots that typically rust on a 2002--that pretty new paint may be covering a lot of  Bondo--or maybe not, but you need to know before plopping down a bunch of $$$ for the car.

And I agree with Ray--whoever wrote the copy doesn't know a lot about 2002s...

Caveat emptor!

mike 

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

11 hours ago, pickelson said:

Is there any reason not  to buy  this ? price $15k

Several.

Missing trims, ugly seats, painted chrome and so on.

Think far: who knows about tomorrow? One day you might be in the situation to sell the car again. And stock cars will always have more acceptance than heavily modified ones.

Especially those ones with (censored) flares.

So turn on, tune in, drop off.

hen

It was on Ebay Mar '13 (North Stonington, CT) and reportedly sold for $6900.

It looks like it has had a new nose and a repaint, but the mechanical goodies were on there then. There was no mention of the motor being a tii, and from what I can see it isn't (more knowledgeable will know).

Rust (the famous "surface rust") was evident on the nose panel (changed?), bottom of doors and on rockers panels. The rear shock mounts looked good.

Below are pics from that auction.

HTH

2532804 1a.jpg2532804 1f.jpg2532804 1i.jpg2532804 1j.jpg2532804 1k.jpg2532804 1l.jpg2532804 1m.jpg2532804 1v.jpg2532804 1w.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

It totally depends on what you want.  If you want a somewhat original car that might increase in value, this probably isn't what you want.  It's not a tii as Mike said, so don't pay the tii tax.  As the experts above said, the people selling the car don't seem knowledgeable about 02s.  

If you like turbo look, big wide tires, coil-overs, Recaros that aren't period correct (I don't think), and want a fun to drive hot rod 02, this could be a step in the right direction if the car is solid.  Like Mike said, make sure the body is actually solid before buying it.  Repaint and all that can be done well, or be done in "flip mode" and it will look bad in a year or two.  

Many times people do the "turbo look" because the spoiler and flares cover rusty areas fairly well.   That would be my concern - someone saw the car, bought it cheap, put turbo look and paint on it to make quick money.  And hence the quality isn't there - it's a rusty car temporarily masquerading as a nice car.  

FYI most people don't do the turbo-look on a Roundie.  

I would think you could buy a car with this many question marks for less, personally.  If you have $25k or so to spend you could probably do better.  Good luck on it.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI