• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Abarth Ansa vs IE Exhaust

Dug Nichols

On the list for Spring is to redo the exhaust on my '76 mintgrun. It currently has a '74 manifold with the EGR port blocked going into what I believe is stock exhaust the rest of the way back. I did a 5 speed swap last year and the pipe bangs on the trans every once in a while and overall the system is aged.

I'm looking to redo the entire system including a header. I mostly street the car but occasionally auto-x. Upgraded suspension (IE stage I springs, camber plates, 22/19 sway) but otherwise bone stock motor w/ weber 32/36.

I'd like some burble at the back but keep it quiet in the cabin, and hopefully pick up a few HP from improved flow.

I'm thinking about the IE Street / Track header:
http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-exhaust/02stephead1.html

And then either this Abarth:

http://www.abarth-exhausts.com/bmw/

VS.

the IE stainless:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-exhaust/02ssexhaustLATE.html

Anyone with experience with these or recommendations?

Here's my engine bay with the '74 manifold, and also a vid from the Abarth site showing off the exhaust note -- dig it.

130_3068.jpg

BMW-2002-film.mov

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

I've got a NOS Abarth on my car.

Positives-
Rather subdued at idle, but with a decent growl at higher rpm.

Looks legit- dual center mount tips are a win in my book.

Rarity makes it special.

The original decals are vintage lust.

Negatives-

Price, these exhausts ain't cheap.

Not stainless, so it will rust.

It rusts.... the original paint hasn't held up with age as well as I would have liked. The forward section of tubing leading from the Down pipe to the mid resonator almost instantly started to flake from heat and I've now got spreading surface rust.

Debating to pull, strip, and repaint or ceramic coat so I feel better that my investment isn't rusting away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is my ansa sport exhaust with a stahl longtube header.  probably a bit differrent than the abarth but the whole thing is sub $450 shipped for the muffler and resonator. just so you get a better understanding of the exhaust sound under load instead of free revving 

Edited by freedo

When I rebuilt my engine last year (rebuild specced by Steve @TEP) I also used their shorty header, muffler and resonator.  Exhaust system was completed locally (pipes from header to muffler, muffler to resonator and tail pipe. and on out through tailpipe for about $200.  I am VERY happy with system.  Cost effective and just the sound I wanted.  Nice burble at idle, growl on brisk rev and above 4000 rpm, without excessive droning at highway speeds (4500rpm with my four speed).  Sorry I can't give a sample because distributor has been removed for winter rebuild by Tom (76 Mintgrun).  Good luck on your system.  I would definitely recommend that you talk to Steve, especially if you have access to a good pipe bender locally.  

otto...I used the IE stainless with headers and really like the sound, it did take some fine tuning to keep from banging...overall happy with system, great customer service from IE...Barney

this was after repaint I'm sure it no longer that clean...

012.JPG

010.JPG

• Like 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

39 minutes ago, donkbike said:

I wish there was more clearance between resonator and driveshaft center support I worry about the heat,

square tails have a plate on bottom of center bearing mount to protect CB from resonator heat.  it is just a piece of metal with two holes in it.  simple to make if you are concerned with heat.

2xM3

the only problem with the IE exhaust system, as it comes to you is how it's put together...it's clamped together at every junction and doesn't stay tight & moves around...if you had it welded together like any other system, it probably wouldn't do that...it sounds great but isn't loud

i have a like new ireland stainless muffler + 2 center mufflers and maybe some misc pipe that we removed from a car we bought several years ago.... i'd like to sell if there's any interest

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, esty said:

the only problem with the IE exhaust system, as it comes to you is how it's put together...it's clamped together at every junction and doesn't stay tight & moves around...if you had it welded together like any other system, it probably wouldn't do that...it sounds great but isn't loud

i have a like new ireland stainless muffler + 2 center mufflers and maybe some misc pipe that we removed from a car we bought several years ago.... i'd like to sell if there's any interest

Esty.. PM sent

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

• 6 months later...

What did you go with if anything?  Sadly my Ireland stainless has been a cacophony (sorry that's a loaded term) a symphony of buzzing like 142 pebbles in a toll house coffee can every time I hit about 3200 rpms.  It is pure sonic pepper spray for everyone in range.  Otherwise it is awesome.  

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

16 minutes ago, Marsattacks said:

Sadly my Ireland stainless has been a cacophony (sorry that's a loaded term) a symphony of buzzing like 142 pebbles in a toll house coffee can every time I hit about 3200 rpms.  It is pure sonic pepper spray for everyone in range.  Otherwise it is awesome.  

That right there is a classic....."sonic pepperspray".....too funny (of course not so much to those around.....)  Cheers

Edited by markmac