• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater valve flow direction

Driv3r

Thanks, I believe I was unclear. The showed flap and the heater valve are both controlled by a single lever. I need to know when this flap is closed ( the lever being to the left or right), is the valve also closed or open. This will clarify which way I'm going to bolt the valve to the holding bracket.

There is an arrow on the valve, and it points (on mine) to the heater box.

As both cables are attached to the same lever and length not adjustable, I don't think there's a choice of making the valve open or close differently to the flap.

DSCN2569sm.JPG

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, halboyles said:

The heater box flap you are showing is the fresh air flap.  It and the heater valve are controlled by the same slider using two separate cables.  When the flap is open the heater valve is closed and vice versa.

Is that right? I always thought that if the lever was in the extreme right position that would be fresh air shut off and heater valve closed. 

Of of course my heater box is so ropey, I can't tell the difference when operating the various flaps so only going on 'feelpinions' as to how it should work. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

9 hours ago, Simeon said:

Is that right?

If you think about it (which you made me do!) that flap controls the mixture of fresh air and recirculated cabin air.  That one slider lets you mix the air and control the flow of heated coolant at the same time.  So if you want max heat, you shut off outside air and open up the coolant valve all the way.  And the opposite for most outside air and no heat (kinda).  Now can I have my second cup of coffee?

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

If you think about it (which you made me do!) that flap controls the mixture of fresh air and recirculated cabin air.  That one slider lets you mix the air and control the flow of heated coolant at the same time.  So if you want max heat, you shut off outside air and open up the coolant valve all the way.  And the opposite for most outside air and no heat (kinda).  Now can I have my second cup of coffee?

Sorry to bump this up again. I've finished the heater box restoration but have a minor question to make sure I don't have to see a sight of any heater box ever again!

So the heater in recent cars let you control the fresh air either by a switch or flap regardless of fan or water valve being open or closed.

How do we stop outside air (fresh air) to enter the cabin in summer, specially when we don't want hot water to pass through the valve?

Let's say we're driving in a tunnel filled with carbon monoxide or a construction zone with dust everywhere and its summer!

The polluted air will get in even if you close both cabin vent flaps.

My guess is either we didn't have pollution or dirty air back in 70s or this was resolved when they introduced cabin filters.