• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel injection refurbish

mvliotta

Thanks for the offer, Rick, but it looks like the problem is not my suction valve but a stuck piston in the injection pump... maybe??

Swapped suction valves, still very weak flow out of # 3 compared to the rest. Swapped fuel delivery valves, still no luck.

How does one 'unstuck' a piston?
Also tried to push down the exposed piston tops (after suction valve removed) like others have done with a wooden peg but could not budge on any of the ports.

I'm stuck, just like that damn piston, arghh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

Are you sure it's stuck?

i would encourage you to read Rob Siegel's post re his fun filled adventure into Kugle madness! 

A strange disease of the mechanical mind.

It had an interesting outcome!

the fault finding chronology alone will make you smile or wince with empathy.

Edited by SydneyTii

Wel, SydneyTii, I owe you and Rob Siegel a beer..

Of course, you were correct! Turned out to be an injector that did not pop. Confirmed with a spare. 

I did not suspect the injector because they were just cleaned and tested! Turns out that the preserving oil they used sometimes causes the injector to get vacuum-locked. Just needs a firm smack is all.

Soooo... back in business to tune her up! Final pictures for this thread later.

Vince

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

After a bit of hiatus, back to working on the car. 

Thought I would post a pic of my solution for reducing wear for the spring retracting the intermediate shaft. I added a freely rotating bushing to my early style intermediate shaft upper piece and wrapped the part of the spring that hooks onto the bushing with a bit of heat-shrink tubing (have to look hard in photo to see this). 

BTW, also obtained a clip for the return fuel line! (lower-right in pic)

IMG_4170.thumb.JPG.0acb671b98263844cc27ca1f1b1ea08b.JPG

While I was working on linkages noticed that the hose on the bottom of the warm up regulator (coolant inlet, I think) is old and cracking. Got to replace it. Any tips for removing the WUR without getting coolant all over the place?

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

12 hours ago, mvliotta said:

Thought I would post a pic of my solution for reducing wear for the spring retracting the intermediate shaft. I added a freely rotating bushing to my early style intermediate shaft upper piece and wrapped the part of the spring that hooks onto the bushing with a bit of heat-shrink tubing (have to look hard in photo to see this). 

BTW, also obtained a clip for the return fuel line! (lower-right in pic)

IMG_4170.thumb.JPG.0acb671b98263844cc27ca1f1b1ea08b.JPG

Nice solution!  Always found it hard to believe they just put that spring hook through a hole in that plate.  

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

"BTW, also obtained a clip for the return fuel line! (lower-right in pic) "

Where did you get the clip for the return fuel line?  I'm in need of two of those clips.  Nice work,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

22 hours ago, mvliotta said:

While I was working on linkages noticed that the hose on the bottom of the warm up regulator (coolant inlet, I think) is old and cracking. Got to replace it. Any tips for removing the WUR without getting coolant all over the place?

Get a coffee can ready, remove the hose the inspect the upper coolant branch for corrosion.  Could be crusty in there.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"