• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Center Support Bearing?

BeMyWay

I have a 1976 '02, manual shift, that I am preparing to switch out the Center Support Bearing (CSB).  

My problem is, there are so many brands to choose from and the prices vary from $13 to $59.  

So I need your opinion on which brand you recommend and why? 

Thanks.

Edited by BeMyWay

Light is seriously underrated.

Lemforder

Not Uro, Meyle, sensen, fung shway, cheng shin, cabbage patch, or cooling depot.

because all of them have failed me in one way or another.

Actually, looking around, I would only try the Beck-Arnley one, but then try to figure out what was in the box.

Because the options at the usual places are looking pretty... unattractive...

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

This is why I like to use Blunt because you can have an honest conversation* about the quality of parts. While I don't think he sells any out and out rubbish, you can be clear about what is a budget friendly part Vs expensive OEM quality as well as what applications to skimp on vs those that benefit from the extra cost. 

*never actually spoken to the guy, all correspondence by email. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

16 hours ago, Simeon said:

This is why I like to use Blunt because you can have an honest conversation* about the quality of parts. While I don't think he sells any out and out rubbish, you can be clear about what is a budget friendly part Vs expensive OEM quality as well as what applications to skimp on vs those that benefit from the extra cost. 

*never actually spoken to the guy, all correspondence by email. 

I have purchased many parts from Blunt also...I will try to see what he has.  I was just too lazy and did not want to log into another site to buy something from them...I'm getting cranky about all this logging-in stuff.  :angry:

19 hours ago, TobyB said:

Lemforder

Not Uro, Meyle, sensen, fung shway, cheng shin, cabbage patch, or cooling depot.

because all of them have failed me in one way or another.

Actually, looking around, I would only try the Beck-Arnley one, but then try to figure out what was in the box.

Because the options at the usual places are looking pretty... unattractive...

t

Toby...thanks for your recommendations.  I am not sure what you are referring to when you said, "I would only try the Beck-Arnley one, but then try to figure out what was in the box."   

I have use Beck-Arnley products before and they have seem to be a good product.  I think I will be needing the U-Joint also, because I see grease.  

IMG_2490.thumb.JPG.7d86be31de99e5b34acf8b109f33908e.JPG

Take care.

Edited by BeMyWay

Beck Arnley products are made by someone else-  often, someone good.

I went looking at the usual suspects, and there didn't seem to be any 'top shelf' manufacturers offering support bearings.

But before you buy, get that u- joint sorted- the 2002 driveshaft is non- servicable, so t's tougher than just popping in a new spider...

sorry,

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Beck Arnley products are made by someone else-  often, someone good.

I went looking at the usual suspects, and there didn't seem to be any 'top shelf' manufacturers offering support bearings.

But before you buy, get that u- joint sorted- the 2002 driveshaft is non- servicable, so t's tougher than just popping in a new spider...

sorry,

t

Toby...I am sorry to do this you again, but what is non-servicable?  Are you meaning it needs to be taken to a speciality shop for this work, or...GULP...replaced entirely?

Thanks.

A normal joint, you pop some clips out somewhere, and then the cups come out, dropping needle bearings everywhere.

BMW thought that clips were too... I dunno, pedestrian?  and so they staked the cups in place.

Yes, it's kind of expensive to get repaired.  Usually, a shop will machine out the u- joints and fit

serviceable spiders in there.  $400 or so later, you can now do what used to cost $30 and take a vice and some care.

Search- there was a driveshaft rebuilding thread a while back with who's doing it currently.  I have used Driveline Service of Portland, and if they're still doing it, they do solid work.

John, I have bad news about Febi- some of their stuff is coming through from China, and not the better parts of China, either... so be careful!

It seems to vary- some things are still good, others, less so...

t

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Yes, and no, do not use them.  Reasonable (quality) priced alternatives have already been mentioned in this thread.

Yes, that's what i thought. I did not see anything regarding Rein so thought I would ask. I did find a FEBI bearing and some say it's good - others bad? I did find a better deal on a dealer part - $283!

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot