• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Center Support Bearing?

BeMyWay

Both Rein and Febi are gambles, but you have decent odds with them.  Sadly, it seems to depend on

the parts themselves, so if one comes through bad, it's likely that they all will.  I don't know how they do their

"supply chain" - what process they use to con 3rd world countries into making the parts for cheaper than they should-

but it isn't consistent:  a Febi guibo for an E46 tends to be good, a Febi E46 CSV isn't going to last.

Rein, too- their rubber parts 'tend' to be excellent, but sometimes, they're not.

Why not give BMW $300?  Because you might very well find a Febi part in that stickered baggie.

Whatever 'mobile tradition' turned into, their 'supply chain' hasn't changed.  BMW produces almost

no 2002 parts anymore, they 're- baggie' 3rd party stuff.  Runs a somewhat better chance of not sucking, yah,

but for $300???

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

9 minutes ago, Stevenola said:

One made in Germany - getting harder to find. 

It sure is.  Buying from a German supplier does not mean the parts are made in Germany; as I learned with these strut bearings.

002.thumb.JPG.c98b119c7627477300ed0da8e327059f.JPG

I bought a pair of them and one had much softer rubber that deflected enough that the strut top was higher on that side.  The supplier took it back and sent me another, which was more like the other one.

I saved the bearings I took out, because they were still looking good.  I was in a "make it all new" mode at the time.  (I've outgrown that mindset, to some extent). 

The bearings I removed have the BMW logo cast into the rubber.  Silly as it may be, seeing that logo does increase my faith in the quality of the product.  That said, I'd be unwilling/unable to drop $300 on a center bearing even if it was marked BMW.

My Chinese/German bearings are deflecting after eight years and I am thinking I'll put the old ones back in, the next time I have it apart.

Tom

On 8/30/2019 at 12:03 PM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

It sure is.  Buying from a German supplier does not mean the parts are made in Germany; as I learned with these strut bearings.

002.thumb.JPG.c98b119c7627477300ed0da8e327059f.JPG

I bought a pair of them and one had much softer rubber that deflected enough that the strut top was higher on that side.  The supplier took it back and sent me another, which was more like the other one.

I saved the bearings I took out, because they were still looking good.  I was in a "make it all new" mode at the time.  (I've outgrown that mindset, to some extent). 

The bearings I removed have the BMW logo cast into the rubber.  Silly as it may be, seeing that logo does increase my faith in the quality of the product.  That said, I'd be unwilling/unable to drop $300 on a center bearing even if it was marked BMW.

My Chinese/German bearings are deflecting after eight years and I am thinking I'll put the old ones back in, the next time I have it apart.

Tom

Meyle was clever to call themselves "Meyle Germany" because so many people see that word and hand over their money. 

IME everything they make is junk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iinca said:

Meyle in Chinese> Mai Lee

Their junk isn't exclusively Chinese. My friend replaced all the stupid split arm 20-balljoint-per-side Audi front suspension bits with Meyle "Original" "Quality" parts made in Turkey, and he had clunks and creaks in three months on a street car.