• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkplug Wires

2002#3

Anyone used spark plug wires #12121705697 for a tii?  I think they are OEM for E20 or E21.  Supposedly, they hold more securely and are more weatherproof than are the OEM wires with bakelite insulators.  A local told me these wires might have to be shortened here and there; however, he has used them on his race car for a long time and they and they have worked well.    Thoughts?

I could not find a FAQ spark plug discussion which addressed spark plug options.

The photo is for illustrative purposes.  The water mark in the photo is not to be considered an endorsement of the indicated company.

11A2601F-B4D9-4403-A137-4391B4B5C28A-2.jpg.832c25c7a56b4db094c1ecf8a374ad0d.jpg

I wouldn't be so sure about using those wires on a 2002 if they are intended for an E21.  I used to own a 1980 320is and I remember that it required special wires that have a specific resistor in them.  I don't believe that the specs for the resistors in the wires is the same as what a 2002 requires. 

I use the wire sets from Kingsborne. (They do use the BERU resistor boots that are made out of bakelite though.  Those resistor boots have the proper resistance value for the 2002

for sparkplugs I would go with NGK BP6ES or BP5ES.  BP5ES is a slightly hotter plug than the BP6ES.  These plugs don't have a resistor built into them (unlike the BPR6ES or BPR5ES).

The BP6ES is about the same heat level as the old Bosch W7DC.

The BP5ES is about the same heat level as the old Bosch W8DC.  The Bosch W7DC and W8DC also didn't have a resistor built into them.

I use the BP5ES plugs in both of my tiis.

Good luck,

John

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I use a similar set of NGK wires that are listed generically for the M10 engine. Seem fine, though the plug ends all give a reassuring 'click' when pushed onto the plug apart from No 3. It seems OK but it drives me mad as I am never sure it has made a good connection. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/