• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern radio

Tlambert

What's your use case? For me, I'm listening to a single Spotify playlist 90% of the time.

Once upon a time I put an ugly modern head unit in my glovebox of my E30 through great effort, using an IR remote to control it and leaving the stock sucker in place for looks. These days I'm inclined to plug an iPod into a miniDSP that would be controlled via voice (requires an internet connection) or a hidden bluetooth button.

Head units don't seem to provide much value anymore.

Edited by Tremelune

1 hour ago, dasfrogger said:

I've got a 2 input clarion 5 channel EQ in the glove box; being fed by a bluetooth module & Aux cable. EQ sends signal to a 5 chanel amp under the rear seat which feeds speakers in @eurotrash's rear speaker enclosure & sub box. One day i'll get my ish together and install the front kick panels too. Sounds great and is super stealth.

I have a very similar setup going into mine.  Very clean and functional.  Nobody really needs a head unit anymore.

I've played around with the retrosound head unit but can't get over that it looks pretty cheesy.

Edited by AceAndrew

Yup, there are actually head units now by alpine and blaupunkt which are essentially a tuner, aux input and a volume knob.  I was looking into one and almost pulled the trigger but went another route because it looked too modern.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

a 2 input clarion 5 band EQ

Fixed that for ya....

If Ray can pick on my vices, I can strive for greater technical accuracy...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, eurotrash said:

I like 2002 audio.. its fun. 

Capture.JPG

Love that.  Setting gains is the most important step.  If you dont do it you will blow speakers and have junk sound.  Amazing what it will do!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

I have one of those modern (cheap) pioneer units...got it from my son...I probably paid for it some time ago.  Anyway, if I can keep it from flashing through all the colors of the rainbow, I'm good for the time being.

I want the radio so that I can figure what route to take to work...these guys crash like " Demolition derby" every morning.  <_<

IMG_2787.thumb.JPG.289901715fe32e09edeb419e50114d11.JPG

Light is seriously underrated.

18 minutes ago, BeMyWay said:

I have one of those modern (cheap) pioneer units...got it from my son...I probably paid for it some time ago.  Anyway, if I can keep it from flashing through all the colors of the rainbow, I'm good for the time being.

I want the radio so that I can figure what route to take to work...these guys crash like " Demolition derby" every morning.  <_<

IMG_2787.thumb.JPG.289901715fe32e09edeb419e50114d11.JPG

Those new tangled iPhone things actually do that. They tell me also what alternative routes to take in real time and how much time it will save. 

I have never used the radio in mine. My antenna was faulty so I didn't get reception. Then when I did my paint I have them fill the antenna hole so it's more sleek.  

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon