• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument cluster lights are dim

Mike Davis

The cluster is retained by two knurled nuts.  They are fairly large, around 3/4" diameter.  Should be easy to turn.  You will also need to disconnect the speedometer cable and the wire harness.  On my '72, there is also a ground wire that needs to be unplugged.  The cluster can then be pulled out from the front.

I changed all of my cluster bulbs to blue LEDs.  

Good luck.

IMG_2720.JPG

Edited by Tsingtao_1903

Sure the headlight switch rheostat is working? Unless the coil is broken, turning the knob clockwise should make them plenty bright.

Removing the cluster is easy as described by Tsingtao_1903

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

45 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Removing the cluster is easy as described by Tsingtao_1903

Yeah, right. Somewhat daunting if you have never done it before.

Remove under dash panels, then working completely blind, snake your hand up behind the dash and try and feel the knurled knobs, and remove. Undo and pull back the speedo cable.

Then gently pull the cluster out from the front of the dash, but only a little way so you can get your hand behind to remove the round multi wire plug (fits on the ring of connectors, right side of my pic). From memory, I believe there's another single wire to remove (tach?). Installation is reverse, and good luck like trying to get the speedo cable re-installed, it's a 10 second affair or 10 minutes.

DSCN0005sm.JPG.c224445813e30dc8d16ab6fc4f399df7.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

3 minutes ago, Mike Davis said:

Is there any way to contort one's body to see a little of whats behind the dash?

hehe.

Remove driver seat. Lay something comfy on the floor, then on your back skinny up under the dash as far as you can go. Then with the aid of an inspection mirror, you should be able to see the back of the dash that's not masked by the dash support/bodywork.

Getting the cluster out the first time is a bugger, but once you've done it the next time's not so bad.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I did plain white LEDs, came out good. They are super cheap on Ebay, came with a bunch of extras.  Matches my radio too.IMG_0673.thumb.JPG.ec7f9086b8d8bf5146f16328054cf1f3.JPG 

Edited by Acid House

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

18 hours ago, Acid House said:

I did plain white LEDs, came out good. They are super cheap on Ebay, came with a bunch of extras.  Matches my radio too.IMG_0673.thumb.JPG.ec7f9086b8d8bf5146f16328054cf1f3.JPG 

Are the LEDs you used dimmable?  and where didja find 'em on E-bay?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yeah I did red LEDs to match my head unit...and they are not bright AT ALL.  Going to do amber but again wanna know which ones to go with.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

'Bout 30 years ago, I had this exercise to replace the lamps because: (1)  I wanted them brighter,  and (2)  Red, like brand new E28s had...

Boy, you guys sure have it easy these days, with LED replacements in every color of the rainbow.

My '72 has four #194 small wedge base lamps.  I dipped them in some red gel-coat intended for theatrical lamps.  Worked like a champ for about 15  years, before the red coating started to darken, and go dim all over again.  Of course, that could be my eyes, but hey - I live and enjoy life in the state of Denial.... 

I do have access to amber and clear 194 lamps, not too expensive last time I checked.  Of course LED will be more money, and probably more light.

John T- I'll get back to you soon as I have a cost.

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

As questioned before, are the LEDs dimmable in our cars?

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007