• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument cluster lights are dim

Mike Davis

On 3/14/2017 at 3:13 PM, beammmer said:

As questioned before, are the LEDs dimmable in our cars?

Don

They sorta dim, but its not smooth like the regular bulbs. On my 72 its like full>half>dim>off.  I'm sure something could be wired in to do it more properly.

These are the ones I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1ES6S6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Acid House

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, beammmer said:

As questioned before, are the LEDs dimmable in our cars?

Don

Depends on the LED, not the car.  Some will, some won't.  In any case, the output of an LED is dependent on current, the variable controlled by the panel dimmer is voltage.  You can certainly try, experiment with an LED you like, and see what happens.  There are circuits to control current at a constant voltage, but BMW did not install them in a 2002 headlight switch.

In the world of LED manufacturing, like any IC process, there is variation among otherwise identical chips.  Some will be bright and some dim at exactly the same applied voltage and current.  Just like the life of incandescent bulbs.  Saying a lamp has a 300 hour life means that for thousands of lamps tested, half lasted longer, half died before then, there are good ones and bad ones.

Give it a try, let us know what you find out.

Andy

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo- you have hit on a characteristic of most BMW wiring - the weak ground.  I added a second ground for both rear lights in my E28 535i, it solved most of the check panel warnings and made the lights brighter by a bit. 

I looked at the amazon post for the lights Acid House used; they look larger, at 30 MM tall.  How do they fit within the cluster?  My '72 uses the 194 style, only 25 mm; I suppose that's not too much different.

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

3 hours ago, deanres said:

Yes the ones I got are dimmable. Found on Amazon chose the white ones. 

Gauges with LED's Installed.JPG

Could you please provide the link to Amazon for these bulbs? 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

New generation 12-24v !Super Bright Low Power !5 x 650 Lumens 1156 1141 1003 3014 54smd Led Light bulb Use for Back Up Reverse Lights,Brake Lights,Tail Lights,Rv lights White
Sold by Hot Light Team
$59.99 $14.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/29/2017 at 11:05 AM, deanres said:

Yes the ones I got are dimmable. Found on Amazon chose the white ones. 

Gauges with LED's Installed.JPG

Give your cluster a little whack with your palm, it looks like one of the bulbs isn't lighting up.

Mine did this initially until I adjusted them in the sockets. 

Edit: From the page- 

• Notice:All LED bulbs have to be plugged in a certain way,it has Positive and negative, so if they don't work at first, quickly take them out, turn them around 180 degree, and put them back in again.

They are bigger than the stock ones but they fit.

IMG_0899.JPG

Edited by Acid House

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

• 3 months later...