• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage Find 74tii Engine VIN bummer

On 3/17/2017 at 7:48 AM, Conserv said:

E12 head?  What's the casting date?  How about the casting dates on the intake plenum (accumulator) and the aluminum runners?  I'm curious whether the original head and injection system were simply swapped over after -- as has already been posited by Mike -- a major failure of the original block.

Conserve,

Finally got some shots of the head and plenum (I think).  One's a 74 and the other a 75.  Sorry the shots are not too great.  

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

On 3/18/2017 at 7:43 AM, Conserv said:

Sometime, please shoot me the dates on your two examples.  Obviously, relays failed periodically, so yours -- if they are the square plastic style -- could post-date the car's manufacture.  But I'd love to understand when these square plastic relays began and ended.

Conserv,

I got some shots of the relays.  They are all newer than the car.  The metal one is certainly the older (and has the dicey looking partially broken plastic mounting.

I also included a shot of my '73's (verona) driver inner fender electrics.  Looks much simpler.  Not sure if its correct (certainly the zip tie is not... had the car for 25 years, I think it came that way).  

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

27 minutes ago, NYNick said:

What color is the interior of the 74 you found?

Blue... with a recaro driver's seat (I hate mis-matched seats) and a really faded carpet set.  

Looking for a '74 blue drivers seat, and contemplating a carpet set from Esty.  Not sure about replacing the carpet (see other post), the idea is to get the car running and move it along.  

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG

Benjamin Franklin

Thank you, David.  Yes, your '73's configuration of horn relay (round) and regulator (larger rectangular) appears to be original.  Square taillights added headlight relays and thus the relay rack you see on your '74.

Thanks for indulging me!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 year later...

I see this an older thread.  I have the vehicle with VIN number 2365048.  I have some history I can share with the owner of this car.  I bought it from the gentleman who bought it from the owner in CT. I’d also like to see that original ad.  How do I access that?

• Like 2

On 3/17/2017 at 9:10 AM, 02Les said:

FWIW

2365048 - for sale in the Roundel in 2004 and was in CT. Car manufactured very late April or early May 1975.

Les, you are awesome!

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!