• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

W&N new shipping arrangement - UPS high customs charges

harold

For the past two years I have purchased many items for my restoration from W&N (WallothNesch).  Their previous shipping was through DHL.  Shipping charges depended on the size of the order.  For example, it was 110 euros for 2 fenders, which was a large bulky shipment.   Then, almost always, I would get a bill from DHL for customs charges after delivery:  2.5% duty plus a handling fee of about $20.  So, for a 1000 euro order, I would pay an additional $45. 

Now they have contracted with UPS and have a flat shipping charge of  49 euros. Seems better.... but, I recently ordered 4 wheels and some other small items.  Shipping was indeed 49 euros, but then I was hit with a customs/brokerage fee from UPS of $91.  Of that, only $26 was duty, the rest was various handling and warehouse charges.    For example a charge for each line item over 3 of $3.10 per line.  I have made previous orders with upwards of 20-30 items.  That charge alone can get ridiculous.   Not only that, but it took UPS 3 days to clear the shipment from customs, which delayed delivery and incurred warehouse charges.  DHL shipments never got held up.

I am wondering if anyone else has had recent experience with a W&N order and UPS shipping.   BTW, this is for shipment from Germany to the US. 

I will contact W&N if others have seen similar issues. 

Good morning Harold,

When I was working at IE, I learned the hard way not to use UPS for international shipping (at the expense of several frustrated clients in a short window).  So in short, it is by no means a solely W&N affair.  

The only suggestion I have is try to insist they use a different carrier with your orders and complain (loudly) about the cost.  If enough fellows do this, W&N will change tact in short order.

Used W&N before. They used DHL. Shipping was ..FAST...3 days.. The package arrived a little beat up, but the radiator was OK. (a few bent fins). 

I have a current order for a frame rail,  that is now with UPS. It is supposed to arrive Friday. (5 day shipping). I will let you know how it goes and if the customs charges are ridiculous. 

Not to dip my toe in the political realm, but we may have to move fast. With all this talk of a US Border Adjustment Tax, (Much like Scoob has to deal with) it may cost us a bit more to get our stuff from out friends overseas. 

PS: On a similar note,  The British pound is supposed to start getting a bit stronger. May want to move if you are buying something from the UK. 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

57 minutes ago, harold said:

For the past two years I have purchased many items for my restoration from W&N (WallothNesch).  Their previous shipping was through DHL.  Shipping charges depended on the size of the order.  For example, it was 110 euros for 2 fenders, which was a large bulky shipment.   Then, almost always, I would get a bill from DHL for customs charges after delivery:  2.5% duty plus a handling fee of about $20.  So, for a 1000 euro order, I would pay an additional $45. 

Now they have contracted with UPS and have a flat shipping charge of  49 euros. Seems better.... but, I recently ordered 4 wheels and some other small items.  Shipping was indeed 49 euros, but then I was hit with a customs/brokerage fee from UPS of $91.  Of that, only $26 was duty, the rest was various handling and warehouse charges.    For example a charge for each line item over 3 of $3.10 per line.  I have made previous orders with upwards of 20-30 items.  That charge alone can get ridiculous.   Not only that, but it took UPS 3 days to clear the shipment from customs, which delayed delivery and incurred warehouse charges.  DHL shipments never got held up.

I am wondering if anyone else has had recent experience with a W&N order and UPS shipping.   BTW, this is for shipment from Germany to the US. 

I will contact W&N if others have seen similar issues. 

I had that same problem with one order from WN..and it was a large order....over $1k. The order after that, however, was smaller...and they used DHL on that one. I dont know if the size of the order made the difference, but that's what happened.

I have had the same experience with the flat rate. I wrote them when they were running a sale on trim clips. The total dollar value of my order was <$25 and would have fit in a small envelope, but they wouldn't budge on the flat rate shipping fee. So I canceled my order.

I used them to buy OEM seat pads ($1K+) and the flat rate was great, until I got the UPS bill.

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

I've made a couple W&N orders since they switched to UPS, and I haven't been hit by customs charges (...yet).  I wonder if it depends on the dollar value of the order?  Shipping is definitely slower with UPS than it was with DHL.  Based on stories from you and numerous other people, I'd never willingly use UPS for international shipments.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

DHL was good when DHL operated in the US, now incoming DHL packages are taken over (it seems) by USPS. It was ok, but the DHL tracking number would disappear.

I just received a W & N order; it left their warehouse 15 March, sat in Cologne 17-19 March, and I received it 21 March. If it hadn't of enjoyed the nightlife in Cologne it would have been decently quick.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Dammit, I placed an order last Friday and said well, it should be here by Wed. To my surprise, today I received an email from UPS saying the shipment was still in Europe and it will be here in a week. In the meantime, just getting ready to get raped by the brown guys.

I will complain if charges are excessive. So far my shipping charges are 98 euros (no flat rate, got big metal panel).

Australia is 75 euros flat rate, unless it's really bulky, I just save up and order a few things at once. I just got rear brake drums, shoes, front pads, oil filter and a few other bits shipped for the flat rate, got it in a few days.

Jaymic have beaten W&N pricing for me before, definitely worth trying, very helpful.

I've had a few body panels recently that came via UPS along with the additional customs fee (pay it before we'll deliver per UPS) I've had most of the smaller orders come DHL recently. DHL doesn't hold up shipment and bills later for any fees from my experience. I'm not sure what to expect for future orders as far as what shipper to expect. I've never had a WN order shipped DHL transferred to USPS once in the states, but there have been other shipments which have from other sources

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This postage and import duty is becoming a racket. I think the mob is involved!

I live in the UK and occasionally buy stuff from the US. Stuff being imported in to the UK incurs a 10% import duty on items & postage valued over $30 + VAT at 20% + a customs handling charge of £8 or £10 depending up the import agent + postage.

I tried to buy an 02 owners handbook the other day, value $30 and the USPS wanted $59 for postage so the total cost to me would have been $30 + $59 (£71.53) + £7.15) (import duty) + £14.30 (VAT) + £8 = £100.98 ($125.67).

The price quadrupled. Its a racket I tell you. Needless to say I didnt do the deal.

How come I can import five widgets (clock mechanisms) from China for $5.70 all in? It makes no sense to me. 

02tii 2751928 (2582)

21 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

When I was working at IE, I learned the hard way not to use UPS for international shipping (at the expense of several frustrated clients in a short window).  So in short, it is by no means a solely W&N affair.  

UPS from US to Canada has always been expensive for their 'add-on services'.

Back when I had a Corrado G60, one of the supercharger rebuild places had a "We Frown on Brown" modified UPS logo for similar reasons.