• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resonator queastion

bmdubl02

Need to replace the resonator (long middle exhaust section) on my 73 tii - is that part tii specific? A local place has a brand new Ansa resonator.

Thanks

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

I recall the p/n's MAY differ ....but I also recall they all are interchangeable..tii vs non

btw.......often Ive seen Ansa rust out quickly......i was in the business............yet for others it was a non issue..........if the price is good, then snag it

Edited by jrkoupe

Interchangeable, but definitely not the same.  I think the real tii center resonator part from BMW is superior (18-12-1-245-265).  Esspecially if you are using the correct tii rear muffler piece to match it (18-12-1-108-739).  These two pieces are very well made and last a long time.  Free flowing without being too loud.  Like most things, you get what you pay for. 

John

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

It just so happens that I received a new one of these from Blunt today.  Stoked to see that they are still made by Eberspacher in Germany.  You can see that they look different than the standard 2002 center resonator.

Resonator1.JPG

Resonator2.JPG

Resonator3.JPG

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

IIRC the center resonator on a carbureted 2002 is simply an enlarged center section of the pipe--looking like a snake swallowed by a larger snake, rather than a fabricated can as pictured for the tii center resonator.  If you're gonna get that Ansa rear muffler, by all means use something--preferably factory--for the center resonator.  Don't run a straight pipe, especially if you plan on taking any highway speed trips.  The noise/drone will drive you nuts!  It only took a two hour trip on the interstate to show me the error of my ways!

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The stock tii exhaust sound is nothing special.  Kind of boring.  Some may know the old term "whispering bomb".  I too have the stock exhaust and wouldn't trade it for anything.  I've had Ansa before and they are definitely more problematic.  Their life expectancy is shorter too.  Tick, tick, tick.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Special is in the ear of the beholder.

Quiet works for me.

I feel less self conscious when I am cruising the local curvy roads.

SOT, but I have a cut off solenoid connected to my vacuum advance pot, so I can turn it off and on.

At highway cruising speed (64 mph), if I turn it off, the exhaust note changes... or sort of goes away.

It is not like there is a noticeable change in power, but you feel the car 'stall' slightly, very slightly, when the switch is flipped off.

And the exhaust sound changes to something not as happy.

I have the authentic BMW Tii resonator and exhaust, and yes, it is rather quiet...but it fits perfectly, looks correct, and helps on the ride down to the vintage!

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element