• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for the right 13" tire (tyres for Less)

Harv

2 minutes ago, Conserv said:

But, Paul, let’s be frank. The 165/80 tires you have on your steel “tii rims” look nothing like any tire produced in 1973. For heaven’s sake, they look like 

The suspense is killing me.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The suspense is killing me.

My iPad froze and would only let me post! ?

This happens when I type too fast... I’ve completed the post by now! ??

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

50 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

How did you know what I spent?

I bought new seat pads and couldn't afford tires for a year. 

They looked like $54 tires.... ?

Seriously!

But I am happy about your new seat pads!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 1:40 PM, Conserv said:

Since I don’t see any 165/80R13 Pirelli’s in these links, I presume you are asking: “If Pirelli were to manufacture a 165/80R13, would you buy it?”

Assuming that is what you are asking, here’s my response.

The vast majority of U.S.-bound ‘02’s were equipped with 165HR13 Michelin XAS’s by the factory. Since the XAS remains available, it’s, thus, a “Go To” answer for those looking to maintain a very stock appearance — despite pricing in the $200 to $230 range.  If a 165/80R13 Pirelli were to be in the same price range, I’d guess there would be little demand for it — despite it being a period-appropriate solution. If, on the other hand, it was a period-appropriate tire — assuming, all along, that it was also of very good quality — I’d guess there might be a good number of potential buyers.  Currently, the 165/80R13 market is heavily weighted at the extremes: Chinese-made tires for $42 and the French-made XAS’s for $200+.

How about a 165HR13 Pirelli Cinturauto for $90 each? ?

Regards,

Steve

Hi

Yep. I am considering asking Pirelli to make a 165R13 Cinturato tyre so i am interested to know which  tread pattern you would prefer? 

the patterns are on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione.html

I would suggest CA67 which  is a 1952 tread pattern that was a Pirelli mainstay untill the '80s or the CN36 which is a later 1968 tread pattern

We do sell the XAS https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione.html and i agree they are not cheap, but they are epic. I used to race a Ford Cortina with a Zetech engine in it. I put XAS on the front, welded the diff up and put cheapo tyres on the back which i soon shredded if the diff diidn't blow up. but the XAS never let go untill my brakes caught fire and i shot off the end of Silverstone's Copse Corner at about 90mph backwards into the gravel trap. They didn't last long on the front because the welded diff was trying to push it straight on all the time, but even with that the XAS on the front I could garuntee oversteer. 

I run the Cintuurato CA67 of my Lotus Elite and they are gorgeous, very precise. 

It would be lovely if we could get them to market for 90 bucks but i cant see it happening at that price. They would probably be somewhere aroud the 150m mark

33-Dougal-Cawley-1982-Ford-Cortina-Mk4.jpg

2 hours ago, Longstone Tyres said:

Hi

Yep. I am considering asking Pirelli to make a 165R13 Cinturato tyre so i am interested to know which  tread pattern you would prefer? 

the patterns are on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione.html

I would suggest CA67 which  is a 1952 tread pattern that was a Pirelli mainstay untill the '80s or the CN36 which is a later 1968 tread pattern

We do sell the XAS https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione.html and i agree they are not cheap, but they are epic. I used to race a Ford Cortina with a Zetech engine in it. I put XAS on the front, welded the diff up and put cheapo tyres on the back which i soon shredded if the diff diidn't blow up. but the XAS never let go untill my brakes caught fire and i shot off the end of Silverstone's Copse Corner at about 90mph backwards into the gravel trap. They didn't last long on the front because the welded diff was trying to push it straight on all the time, but even with that the XAS on the front I could garuntee oversteer. 

I run the Cintuurato CA67 of my Lotus Elite and they are gorgeous, very precise. 

It would be lovely if we could get them to market for 90 bucks but i cant see it happening at that price. They would probably be somewhere aroud the 150m mark

33-Dougal-Cawley-1982-Ford-Cortina-Mk4.jpg

I’ve been an XAS user continuously since 1973, so I’ve long sung their praise.

Let’s make certain we’re comparing apples to apples. You’re saying $150 per tire for a 165R13 Pirelli. U.S. buyers, representing the majority of the forum members here, are currently paying $160 each for the 185/70VR13 Pirelli CN36, because taxes do not apply ($192 each, with tax). Are you saying $150 each for a 165R13 with tax, or without tax. If the latter, forget the 165R13 project with respect to BMW ‘02 owners: no one is going to choose a 165R13 for $150 when the awesome 185/70VR13 is $160 each! ?

Let’s clarify the above, but in my opinion, $150 per tire for a 165R13 Pirelli is getting too close to XAS territory. Also, in my opinion, even a 165R13 buyer would probably prefer the 1968 — ‘02 era — CN36 tread pattern to the more “old-fashiony” — 1950’s - ‘60’s — CA67 tread pattern.

Those are my thoughts.... 

Regards,

Steve