• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Period Correct Toolkit

Driv3r

Gents,

What would be the correct toolkit for early model Euro Tii's (including the bag colour)? I see some spanners out there with BMW logo on one side and Heyco on the other side but some only with Heyco logo.

58fab8d5c9c38_s-l1600(6).jpg.e1a91b426ecc12402a9d9678d3988dff.jpg

Does anyone have a photo of the toolkit that came with early Euro Tii? From what I've seen, the toolkit bag and screwdriver handle come in black, transparent red (red for bag) and grey. Need to know if these are period change or dealer/owner changes.

Also where do I get the jack/toolkit trunk mounting bracket and parts from? I remember my 74 had its jack mounted in the middle but my current 73 has no bracket in the middle.

Appreciate for your input.

The toolkit vinyl was gray, black, or a weird green, with red or black trim, to name a few variants.

Your trunk/spare should look like the following photo.  The '74-'76 jack was located to the far left of the trunk, up against the quarter panel:

DSC_0315-3.jpg

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

18 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

The toolkit vinyl was gray, black, or a weird green, with red or black trim, to name a few variants.

Your trunk/spare should look like the following photo.  The '74-'76 jack was located to the far left of the trunk, up against the quarter panel:

DSC_0315-3.jpg

Thanks John, do you have any photo of the toolkit itself? Just want to know if they have BMW logo on spanners. Cheers

Wrenches should say BMW, screwdriver has a grey handle, not red.  Drawing is in RealOEM.  Bags could be any color, euro vs. US there is no difference.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Wrenches should say BMW, screwdriver has a grey handle, not red.  Drawing is in RealOEM.  Bags could be any color, euro vs. US there is no difference.

Thanks Chris,

So the red handle screw driver is not part of 02 package?

From a May '73 tii

IMG_4010.thumb.JPG.970f3906aef24b7f49013aee1c7736e9.JPG

The 17mm end if the larger spanner has a crank in it to fit the rear brake adjusters.

Thanks John,

So the bag and screwdriver are different in your photo to the one I'm interested to buy. I'm just trying to establish if the toolkit I'm buying came with March 73 tii.

The bag is definitely the genuine article. The screwdriver is a reversible German. I think all this talk of green, red and grey is a load of modern Mumbo Jumbo. BMW accepted whatever met spec. That yellow one has been in that bag for at least 30 years that I can verify.

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Red screwdrivers came in e3/e9 and later cars.  The 2002 didn't get a yellow screwdriver, that might be a much earlier item.  John, your jack appears to be much earlier as well, my 69 did not have one like that for sure.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

I have several sets of tools from my earlier '02s and my current Touring.

I believe the spanners/wrenches only had "DIN 895 West Germany" cast on them (plus the size). Later, E21? on, had BMW &/or Heyco cast on them, and the screwdriver was always grey and the correct ones had no slot part way up the handle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

9 hours ago, HBChris said:

Red screwdrivers came in e3/e9 and later cars.  The 2002 didn't get a yellow screwdriver, that might be a much earlier item.  John, your jack appears to be much earlier as well, my 69 did not have one like that for sure.

+1

I'm voting with Chris on both the screwdrivers and the basic jack itself!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 years later...

My car did not come with a factory tool kit, unfortunately.  Over the years I have come across a few DIN895 wrenches and have been wondering if any of the ones I've found would match what came in our kits.  Reading posts above suggest that they should say West Germany and not have HEYCO on the other side.

I picked up the 15mm/13mm wrench yesterday and it inspired this photo.

044.thumb.JPG.be467f2c306efdf5346c986b42356a41.JPG

Out of all those wrenches, not one has an 11mm end.  I guess I need to keep looking.

Did the original wrenches have plain backs, or did they have the sizes on both sides, like the 14mm/12mm example here?

062.thumb.JPG.e40dde341553e6ac206f344250d2d1d9.JPG

What size wrenches were in the kit?  I know there was a 19mm/17mm and the 17mm end was bent, to be able to adjust the rear brakes with the wheels still on the car.  I don't know the size combinations of the smaller wrench(es).

I am not putting a kit together, just curious.  Plus, I get a kick out of old tools.

Tom