• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't find the timing marks (for real) 1975 02

Dudeland

Ok for real, I cant see the marks on the flywheel.  I see at best 1/3 of the lip on flywheel.  I have a brand new Innova digital timing gun.  Has anyone opened up the hole so you can see it better? 

Even if I could actually find the marks. there isn't enough showing to paint.  

Do I get out the dremmel?

I have 5 speed waiting for it, but I need it to run until I get it in .

I will send a picture tomorrow. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

There are timing marks on the front pulley that a lot of people use. Might be hard to spot, worth rolling the engine over until you spot the groove in the lip of the pulley.  Corresponding a needle should be projecting from the front cover.  Clean and add some paint. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I stuck a USB camera down the hole.  You know, those inexpensive cylindrical ones with LED's in the front.  I found the ball very easily with it.  Before I got it, I simply could not locate that darned ball.  You may have similar luck (the ball's there, it just may be rusty and blending in with the flywheel).

If you are really stuck, you could pull the valve cover and get the engine to TDC #1.  Work backwards from there to locate the ball, using the crank pulley as a reference.

Hmm, odd that the opening does not line up with the center of the flywheel.  I've never tried it but what if you took off the lower cover plate at the bellhousing?  That might expose the edge of the flywheel enough to reveal the ball.  Paint it white and then see if it's visible at all through the hole.

I read where someone said to put a pencil eraser down the hole, with the engine running to clean it and make it visible.

I think I still have that pencil, with one side of the eraser missing... it did not seem very effective, but the idea makes sense.

I stand on the passenger side, when timing my car.

You do have to look down and somewhat forward to see the BB.

That is why I painted a line behind it as well.

I am just curious Dudeland, which Vancouver are you in?

The one to the north of me, or to the south?

2 hours ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

I think I still have that pencil, with one side of the eraser missing...

Made me laugh.

Seriously though...I'm now a fan of painting a mark on the front pulley.  Soooo much easier.  I spent years peering down that darn hole.  Point the light at the pulley (alternator side) and make your adjustments.

Tii marks below but the same idea for a carburated engine I'm sure.   My distributor calls for 14-16 degrees BTDC at idle.

TimingMark.jpg.8313271234f6b8e96c0ffb409edcdb8b.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

2 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

Hmm, odd that the opening does not line up with the center of the flywheel.  I've never tried it but what if you took off the lower cover plate at the bellhousing?  That might expose the edge of the flywheel enough to reveal the ball.  Paint it white and then see if it's visible at all through the hole.

Nice try, from memory you can only see the inner face of the flywheel and ring gear. No chance to see the circumference with the ball. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

During my 5 speed swap I installed a lightened flywheel. I painted the edge of the flywheel black and the OT line and Z ball white. Here's a picture of what you are looking for, Dude. 

image.thumb.jpeg.91c9f383a51e535fcb89b2658026ad0c.jpeg

Most sure-fire way to find the marks is to remove the valve cover and find the TDC mark on the cam sprocket, then look for the OT line down the hole. Take out your spark plugs and you can rotate the engine easily by hand with the fan. Just don't reverse the engine rotation if you overshoot the marks... go completely around again. At that time you can also paint the front pulley.

Hope this helps. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

More....

The link above shows a Tii engine and it's front pulley marks.  On a carb'd engine, the alternator is up high and blocks a lot of the lower pulley and the pointer needle... but it can be seen.  You really must clean and paint the pointer and the pulley marks, though.  

The pictures below are again for a Tii, but look at the 2nd and 3rd pic, for the crank pulley and pointer location.

Image result for bmw m10 timing marks

Alternately, and perhaps the easiest.... You have an Innova timing light with the advance feature.  Bring the engine to 1400 rpm with the idle speed screw on the carb.  Point the light down the bellhousing peep hole.  Now scroll with the "advance" buttons on the Innova.  As you slowly scroll up, the strobe will allow you will see the marks creep into the peep hole.  You can then adjust the advance buttons to align the proper mark is against the driver's side of the peep hole ( you will note that the peephole has a flat edge on the driver's side...that is what you "reference" the timing mark against. That flat edge acts like the pointer on the front pulley)

02IGNITIONTIMING.thumb.jpg.2c6273e53ea08c99e4b493b9d0e22299.jpg

Hope this helps,

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

42 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

I am headed out to the garage tomorrow, I will see if I can find the ball, any ideas on what paint to use? I was thinking white nail polish. 

Regards

M

That would do if you have it. I would use something like this: http://uniball.com.au/markers/uni-paint-marker-chisel-tip-clone/ but you can't go too far wrong. Some people have used Liquid Paper / Correction Fluid / Tippex.

Make sure you degrease and clean surfaces first. 

rtheriaque wrote: