• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

o2 Turbo FS (European Collectibles)

markmac

A lot of cash for something with limited or no provenanace. BMW told them where it was first delivered, came in as a grey market and would never have needed a resto with the mileage they are quoting. So, someone must know its history ... It would make the car a lot more attractive/valuable if they shared it. There are 5 currently for sale on mobile.de, 4 of them have lower asking prices and seem to show real mileage figures. Shipping to social and customs come on top. They don't seem to be the rarest due to a high survival rate I suspect. Does look nice though and it is only the asking price...

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

6 hours ago, otisdog said:

Doesn't have the original wheels or  tranny.....deduct 15(?) K....

They had painted wheels like that, its a 6" steel wheel in silver and black. The dogleg 5-speed was an option, I think the four speed was standard with LSD and long ratios.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

2 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

They had painted wheels like that, its a 6" steel wheel in silver and black. The dogleg 5-speed was an option, I think the four speed was standard with LSD and long ratios.

Andrew

Well, actually, the standard rim was a 5.5" x 13" styled steel rim, identical to early e21's.  But as you note, Andrew, it was painted dark gray in the center and the usual wheel silver on the lip, as we see in the photos.  Only the manufacturing dates distinguish bona fide "turbo" steelies from early e21 rims.  So we might be looking at original rims -- check the dates.  The factory optional alloys (cast by both Mahle and FPS) were, indeed, 6" x 13", so the alloy option represented both (a.) an increase in width, and (b.) a decrease in unsprung weight.

I think the implication in the listing is that the car has acquired a "post '02 era" 5-speed overdrive transmission, replacing its original transmission.  And I do believe the turbo's version of the standard 4-speed was slightly more heavy duty than the sub-turbo versions: I know not which components were beefed up!  Others here know the details!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for correcting me, I didn't read the whole text...if you can read, you have an advantage in life.

In the header it has a four speed and in the fine print its a five speed...odd. Also, if you are selling a product at a very premium price, would you present it on those tires....Those Toyo's are S rated all season tires.... would be totally illegal in Germany. I always hated the old toyo's for their squealing performance, but on a turbo mounting all season tires...come on. Its like a fashion show with the models wearing sketcher knock-offs with french top of the line clothing. That might be exaggerating a little and I suppose that a turbo with an overdrive gearbox is not meant to be driven fast anyway and the Toyo's are fine for everyday use and you shouldn't be squealing your tires on public roadways anyway...so we won't dwell on the kumho spare tire  or the no-name battery.  Seems like someone is saving in the wrong places.

The interior also does not seem to me to be a $124k interior on closer inspection...upholstery/headliner/carpeting is a bit off (maybe just lighting), no radio, odd shift knob (or beater?), no caps on the rear shocks or trim on the inner wheel arches in the trunk but maybe those were not present on the turbos... I do like the airbox though, I had not looked at the engine compartment that closely before.

If I were presenting it at that price, I would stretch the upholstery to ensure there are no creases and borrow or buy a set of Pirelli or Michelin tires and iron out the little issues as it would be time well invested. I saw a turbo and an M1 in a museum here a few years ago, both were carrying non-streetworthy tires (really not worthy from age and quality), but the owner had neither registered nor driven the cars since acquiring them, so the tires are only necessary to ensure the car ROLLS when pushed.

Regards,

Andrew

I think $124,000 is as much as I have seen any 02 of any spec go for. Since this is the 'alpha male' of the classic 02 world, I would expect nothing less than the best for that money.  I am sure that there is nothing practically wrong with the car as it is but for that kind of money, I would be expecting whoever restored it to go above and beyond in terms of quality and originality. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Info that I have:-

As stated, the car was originally delivered to Milan, Italy. In 2006 (or earlier) it was in Sweden & reportedly had 93k km (58k) on the motor. It was imported to the US in 2007 and lived in Florida until around 2011 (it had Alpina rims then & only 46k miles).

In 2016 Frank's Automotive Service, Costa Mesa had it for sale for $105k, it has increased in price since but remains unsold.

I guess European Collectibles is selling it on consignment for Frank, as their description wording is practically identical.

Cannot personally verify the above; it is copied from what the various Sellers stated.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The 'hockey stick' side decals seem to have been stuck on too high, makes it look odd.

Solche Fehler sind schon oft von Frisierpraktikern gemacht worden, die keine Ahnung von einer Ventilerhebungskurve hatten. -Ludwig Apfelbeck

If I was trying to fill a nit-pic basket, I would say:

paint the masonite heat flaps black

as well as the behind the grille vertical supports

install a steering column lower pad (?)

replace the lug nut that's missing the cap (pass. front)

rotate the driver's wiper arm up a notch (!)

center hood foam pad goes more towards front

relocate that battery ground strap

peel the ugly stickers off the battery

use an unkinked breather hose on valve cover

pretty up the plug wire/coil wiring mess

should that turbo pipe/hose be rubbing on the hood crossbar?

give us some photos from below!

(my basket is only half full)

I surf into their (EC) website every so often to see what Porsche's they are offering since that is really what the specialize in, that said they are no doubt functioning as a consignor for the car (and if they can sell what you have regardless of the flavor they will take it) - I was sort of surprised to see it in there...and then at $124k.  I know very little about Turbo's - at that price zero should be wrong with it.  In my opinion your "basket" should be empty (to start).

Going back to Andrew's point about running $70 S-rated Toyo's on a turbo, that does set a bad tone.  I'm betting that the seller is keeping the Alpina's for his collection and has painted up a set of ca. 1977 e21 steelies in the turbo style, throwing on the chespest tires he could find.

Minus $10K ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)