• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Munich recommendation needed

• Administrators

I know this is a bit off topic, but in a way it is 2002 related since i will be at the BMW Museum at some point.  Mrs. and I are taking a trip to Europe this summer and will be spending a few day in Munich.  I am looking for a recommendations on where to stay.  I know that Marienplatz is very central, but i am looking for any other suggestions. A hotel in a neighborhood where the bars and restaurants are plenty and good while close to U-Bahn or S-Bahn. I have heard that the area around the Hauptbahnhof is not the greatest.  Is that true?

Fire away!  

I'll be there for about 4 days.  What are your must sees in Munich?  Other then the BMW stuff.

Thanks,

Steve K.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Hi Steve,

for the Munich thing there might be some other local folks chiming in that know better than me. I´m from Frankfurt and have only also been a visitor to Munich for some times.

But what I´d like to mention: If you´re still free with your plans concerning the specific date you should maybe take into consideration the BMW 02 meeting of the Niederbayern Club. They´re celebrating their 25th anniversary this year and therefor on friday there will be a complete day of free driving on the nearby Salzburgring. Meeting takes place on the second weekend in August - 11th, 12th and 13th - in Kirchdorf am Inn which is about 100km east from Munich.

If you´re interested and might need some more info drop me a line via PM.

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Englischer garten is a beatiful place to relax for few hours on a good weather. Beer available ;)

Deutsches Museum is great for technology oriented but it's quite heavy and takes a whole day. If you go don't miss the mining section downstairs.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• Administrators
Hi Steve,

for the Munich thing there might be some other local folks chiming in that know better than me. I´m from Frankfurt and have only also been a visitor to Munich for some times.

But what I´d like to mention: If you´re still free with your plans concerning the specific date you should maybe take into consideration the BMW 02 meeting of the Niederbayern Club. They´re celebrating their 25th anniversary this year and therefor on friday there will be a complete day of free driving on the nearby Salzburgring. Meeting takes place on the second weekend in August - 11th, 12th and 13th - in Kirchdorf am Inn which is about 100km east from Munich.

If you´re interested and might need some more info drop me a line via PM.

Best regards, Lars.

That would be great, unfortunately my dates are set and I'll be in Munich July 3rd through 7th

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

CCA members get a good discount at Derag hotels, and I've used the Karl Theodore many times. Quiet neighborhood, close to U-Bahn, beer garden, several restaurants. No A/C, but good breeze (no street noise thru windows). A/C hotels are going to cost more. Other possibilities in Schwabing close to Englisher Garten. Around station is noisy, busy, run down in places.

Nymphenburg is quite something, Marienplatz and surrounding pedestrian streets and churches. Deutsches Museum is worth a morning. Full of neat stuff. Maybe try for a factory tour. I think the BMW Classic collection is now open. A must see.

We stayed at the Marc last June / July. It's a modern hotel a block and a half from the Hauptbahnhof, and the rates are quite reasonable, much cheaper than other hotels in the area (AC, 140 euro & up, book directly online). Would definitely do it again. The area around the HBf isn't bad...there are some youth hostels and such, a lot of young folks, but we never had any issues. It's also quite easy to walk to Marienplatz, and the assorted restaurants and bier halls. Parking is underground, which I never saw. If you have a racy car they will let you park in one of the 4 or 6 above ground spots. Oh, the breakfast was the best we had in Germany....this alone is worth staying there. 10 minute walk to the train station, max. The Alte Pinakothek, the art museum, is trully awesome, even if you're not into the old masters - it's undergoing restoration, so admission is cheap, and you'll still see a ton of stuff...a whole room of Ruebens. Renting  a bicycle is a great way to get around.

Have fun!  Anymore questions, PM me.

Edited by otisdog

I was there  a couple of years ago during Octoberfest so we were somewhat limited. However we stayed in  Moosach which is roughly halfway from the airport and central Munich right on the tramline from the airport.(It is a about a 20 minute ride to Marienplatz station from there) 

It is a small district with authentic German bakeries and restaurants all within walking distance of the hotel we stayed at. It is only a 5-10 minute subway ride to the Olympic Village and the BMW museum, perfect for me, no so much for my wife. If you are there for 4 days I would recommend you get a week pass for the transit system, it gets you on both U-Bahn or S-Bahn systems.

hth...Mike

I stayed at the Euro Youth Hotel (hostel) for $15 a night near Hauptbanhof.  Nothing much bad about it at all, much cleaner than much of San Francisco.  Hostels are awesome for cheap/shitty accommodations, and you can meet lots of interesting travelers in the hostel bar / breakfast.  I don't know how my wife would feel about staying in one with me though.  It's not like a full hotel, just a place to sleep and meet people and have a great time.

There are lots of free walking tours (tips encouraged), well worth it.  Do go to Dachau, and probably Neuschwanstein.  

By all means, defintely go to the Deutsches Museum as well.  It's a mechanical wonderland of all sorts of engine cut-aways and such from a historical perspective.  

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

6 years ago My family & I stayed at the La Meridian hotel on Bayerstrasse right across from the Munich Train Station.  Short walk to the Glockenspiel at the Marienplatz.  Short walks to great shopping and Beer Halls/Gardens.  We had a great tour of the factory & was able to see where my 1600 was built (make reservations in advance for the factory tour).  Trips to Dachau and Neuschwanstein were easy day trips as were Garmisch and the trip up the Zugspitze.  Also did a day trip into Italy the same day we went to Garmisch.  Even did a day trip to Eagles Nest at Berchtesgaden, what a view!  Also look into a day trip into Austria.  We stayed overnight in a cool boutique Hotel in Salzburg but unfortunately did not get to the Salzburgring.  The Meridian Hotel was very nice and the neighborhood there seemed quite pleasant and I felt very safe.  But that was 6 years ago.  May have changed since then.  Still my favorite trip I have ever taken to date.  You will have a ball!

Enjoy!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Do you want to do the factory tour too?  If so, that takes some planning in advance.  The museum and the Welt, you can just go anytime.

I went to Munich last year and stayed near Marienplatz.  There's lots to eat, drink and do around there - the English Garden, Glockenspiel, Dallmayr next to Marienhof, etc.  I would do one of the guided tours too, if you have the time.  

-

Hof - haus is assumed. Augustiner has several branches near Marienplatz/train station which are marginally less touristy.

I prefer the beer at Andechser pub behind Frauenkirche.

I see the Derag Karl Theodore has become the Derag Olympiapark. I've heard of the Marc but I suspect it will be more than Derag if you get the club discount.

• Administrators

Great suggestions guys!! Love it. 

Munich is the starting point for our trip. We send a few days there then cross the alps over to Italy on the way to Florence, Genoa, Monaco, Liechtenstein, and Zurich. We will probably stop somewhere between Munich and Florence, but not sure where yet. Total trip of just under 3 weeks. With several day stays in some of the cities and some overnighters.

Beer place i want to see is  Weihenstephan, possibly Klosterbrauerei Andechs, Augustiner,  Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr. Weltenburg would be nice, but a bit out of the way.

steve k.

Andechs is a bit of a detour out of town - not the easiest place to get to. Lowenbrau does tours at their main branch. I think Augustiner has a plant south of station - not sure. 

As for stops between Munich and Florence, I'd suggest you look at Merano, or along the east side of Lake Garda, or Mantua (Mantova). The latter is a neat small city full of amazing things including the Nuvolari museum. You could spend a day there easily. Merano also pretty cool, with the Forst brewery as a bonus.

PM me if you need hotel suggestions or highlights. I've travelled around there quite a bit.

Genoa is a big city - you might do better to stay out and take public transit.

Similarly, Moncao is expensive and hard to navigate. Better to stay along the coast and take the train. I like Vence just NW of NIce.

How are you getting from Nice to Switz/Lichtenstein?

Yup, Andech has a place right behind the church @ Weinstrasse 7....watched the Germany / Italy soccer game there during Europe 2016. Maybe the best bier in the innerstadt?

Also hit Weihenstephan place just south of the innerstadt...they had some sublime steins there.

Edited by otisdog