• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Munich recommendation needed

I lived in Munich for some 8 years, most recently in 2013-2015 and you can't really go wrong.

If you don't want to stay right in the middle of the city, you can look at the  "Westpark" (Hotel Bavaria or Sheraton Westpark if you have points with Sheraton), there are a few hotels in normal neighborhoods with good restaurants and easily accessible via subway. Its generally quieter than staying in the middle of the city. Augustiner is among the best beers brewed ".", their brewery is in the Schwanthalerhohe (a mouthful) not far from the city center and there are wonderful beergardens there in that area as well. Tours of the brewery are available. Hofbrau is ok and steeped in history, but the patrons are often mostly not Germans and sometimes a problem. Go to Viktualienmarkt and "Der Schorr" as in Hacker Schorr bierhall instead.Traditional German beergardens in Munich or outside Munich (south of Munich towards Grunwald you have the glamour beergardens where the FC Bayern players are spotted). Quite a few are reachable via tram, so no need for a designated driver but cab fares can be very expensive in Munich, so check when the last tram returns to the center. These beergardens are usually far better than the Hofbrau and more representative of the German beer culture. The English garden as some have suggested is great by good weather, especially if you get a table in the evening and enjoy the atmosphere...

Regards,

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Andrew, you are so polite in your comments about the Hofbrau....my response would be "tourist dive frequented by drunk Aussies and Kiwis....

Probably the worst biergarten in the city, in my opinion. And while I'm doing bad Biergarten experiences, the waiters at the Spaten restaurants are rude enough to ruin the experience. Stay away.

Oh, and a English Garden warning... be aware there is a nude section, and there isn't  (m)any youthful bodies around!

Edited by otisdog

On 5/2/2017 at 3:30 PM, Hans said:

Hof - haus is assumed. Augustiner has several branches near Marienplatz/train station which are marginally less touristy.

I prefer the beer at Andechser pub behind Frauenkirche.

I see the Derag Karl Theodore has become the Derag Olympiapark. I've heard of the Marc but I suspect it will be more than Derag if you get the club discount.

+1 on Hans recommendations, Augustiner is my favorite Munich big six brewery and the Andech's brew pub near the Marienplatz is awesome. Prior to 2008, you had to travel a short distance outside Munich to the Andech's monastery.  Andech's doppelbach is my favorite all-time dark beer.  Last time I stayed in Munich, I stayed at a hotel across from the Hauptbahnhof, easy walk to the Augustiner brew pub and a 10 minute walk to the Marienplatz

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

THe BMW Group Classic Center is very close to the Welt/Museum on Moosacher Str. (the next stop at Oberwiesenfeld on the U3 after Olympiazentrum).  Don't know if it is available to tour or not but it is the storage center for the historics not on display in the museum, and is my first preference.  There is a museum discount for BMWCCA members.  If you have time, walk over the freeway from the Welt and tour the '72 Olympic site--there are usually many cultural events planned there during the summer months.  Augustineer is by far (despite Spaten advertising claims) the beer of choice in Munich--we liked their beergarten just a few blocks west of the brewery.  The Andechs Kloster is the last stop on the S8 but rather difficult to reach from the tram station unless you are an avid hiker--easier if you have a car or take a taxi.  Enjoy a meal there with their incredible brew.  Be sure to note that religious holidays in Germany are also state holidays and there are several dates in the summer when everything is closed Monday.  And lastly note that June is spargel month.

Edited by nbcbird

8 hours ago, otisdog said:

Andrew, you are so polite in your comments about the Hofbrau....my response would be "tourist dive frequented by drunk Aussies and Kiwis....

Probably the worst biergarten in the city, in my opinion. And while I'm doing bad Biergarten experiences, the waiters at the Spaten restaurants are rude enough to ruin the experience. Stay away.

Oh, and a English Garden warning... be aware there is a nude section, and there isn't  (m)any youthful bodies around!

I didn't see a reason to discriminate against the Brits / Aussies / Kiwis, the Scandinavians and the American college students are always competing with them for most offensive awards..... :-) Its like Oktoberfest, if you are in the right tent, at the right time, with the right people, its top of the world...but that's not always so. Sometimes amusing to watch, less so if they interfere with you having a good time.

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 1 month later...

I just went in April around bavaria.  I did an AirBnB near Pienzenauerstraße 1A 81679 Munich.  The street by the river was free to park on.  It was a nice quite area and it wasn't too far to walk to the English Garden.  Make sure you stop by the main beer garden and get some lunch.  They had a Polka band playing when I was there on the weekend and it was packed but still plenty of beer and seating. I stopped into the Haufbrauhaus just a bit after they opened and it wasn't bad at all.  I was walking around town and just popped in.  You can go up St. Peter tower (Petersplatz 1 80331 Munich) for like $8 and get a good view out over the city.  The climb up the tower is pretty interesting also.  The area around there has some neat little streets to walk around on with some places to get something to eat.  I would defiantly check out Neuschwanstein Castle.  We stayed in Fussen which was also a pretty cool little town.  Hallstatt, Austria was also awesome though a bit overrun with tour bus drops.  They have a salt mine tour that looked very interesting but was closed when we were there for the season.  If your in Switzerland Lucerne was a nice lunch stop.

Oh yeah they like to shut down on Sundays.  We were in Frankfurt and at the mall only a Chipotle was open.  Even the McDonalds was closed.  In the shopping area downtown the Apple Store had even closed up for the day.  Just be weary of that in your planning and buy your beer steins the day the shop is open.  I waited until the next morning which was Sunday and now don't have a great stein.

The museum is awesome.

082.thumb.jpg.8a2f2ed8bb1c079d9e8622ed4493fb3e.jpg

English Gardens

IMG_0840.thumb.jpg.799f8c6c6e388dee46fc381bf4233230.jpg

From up on St. Peters

012.thumb.jpg.122fb39d4c4e77de80e8e5bfa0c8f2c0.jpg

Hallstatt

080.thumb.jpg.17ba151d88012ae02bb8f812814e7fcb.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg.e44755a40e46d045ab11d0c687a9245e.jpg

Lucerne

IMG_1402.thumb.jpg.f8e0d32c49ec711f2b6fdf5118325a09.jpg

Edited by chrismcdowell25

Not sure exactly where it was in Munich, but we stayed a the Ibis hotel in Munich a few years ago. If you have the time take a day trip on the train out to Oberammergau, it's a very cool trip through the countryside and the Bavaria tour was held there last year. Hofbrauhaus is interesting but a bit touristy, there is some awesome traditional German food and beer at few other places fright across the street. Make sure you get the Bavarian breakfast while you are there, a brat with a soft pretzel and a wheat beer. Just ask for Weißwurst Frühstück. J

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

• 3 weeks later...