• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED Bulbs for '02s

I still heat tungsten for my light... it's a color temperature thing.  

And yes, you can tell me so when I get rear- ended...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

I still heat tungsten for my light... it's a color temperature thing.  

And yes, you can tell me so when I get rear- ended...

t

I think I'll try a set in the race car (on the chance that brighter brake lights may slow down the guy behind me...) -KB

• Thanks 1

I DO have the race car's housing full of led.  And the turns set up as rain lights...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

18 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

I think I'll try a set in the race car (on the chance that brighter brake lights may slow down the guy behind me...) -KB

The higher efficiency of LED bulbs means less draw from the alternator, which means less load on the engine.

That .00001 hp savings will now allow you to pull well ahead of anyone who dares to come up on your bumper :-)

I received and installed these bulbs today.  They are excellent, very bright.  They are red, so even if your lenses are faded they show bright red.  A set of running light and brake light bubs cost $33.80, with $3.21 shipping to Michigan for a total of $37.01.  I have a square tail, but they are also available for roundies, probably at a comparable price.  These are the ticket!!! 

desertfox02  - Have you checked how hot these bulbs get?  I've got an led flashlight that gets pretty hot.  Wondering if sitting at a stoplight the heat would affect the lens or

housing.

Glen

4 hours ago, Glen Karr said:

Wondering if sitting at a stoplight the heat would affect the lens or housing.

Glen

Apply handbrake and put car into neutral. hehe

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I've replaced all my rear lights with leds now, and the difference is huge. Bright as opposed to almost non-existent stock bulbs

One thing I notice with the turn signals: When I move the stalk to signal a turn, the blinker light on my gauge cluster only blinks once then stops - but the actual turn signals continue to blink as normal until st wheel shuts them off, or until I use the signal stalk to turn them back off. Any ideas about that? 

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Load resistor.  7 ohms will do you.  Make it a 10- 20 watter, and don't leave it in contact with tissue paper...

t

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Load resistor.  7 ohms will do you.  Make it a 10- 20 watter, and don't leave it in contact with tissue paper...

t

added where Toby? gauge cluster?

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

I just ordered and installed, in my 1974 tii brake lights, the 1156 CAN Bus LED Bulb Single Intensity 26 SMD LED Tower in red from the superbrightled website.  There is not a major difference between the led and the standard bulb in brightness in a side by side test.  The LED is slightly brighter which is a good thing but don't look for a major difference.  I will be leaving them in the car because they are better but you will be disappointed if you are looking for a major difference.  Also, the website says that they, may not fit the housing but rest assured that they do.  I am somewhat disappointed because these are the brightest and most expensive option that they have.  Not that they are expensive.  They are a bit better but not great.  I was looking for more.  If anyone finds a brighter alternative, please post it here.

Edited by j2002tii