• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB US headlight buckets

rmb1927

On USA cars, Left and right are different, per the BMW parts manuals. Also early (pre-74) buckets are a different part number from later ones. They may be interchangeable, but make sure you get the parts from someone that knows the variations.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

On 5/4/2017 at 1:54 AM, wegweiser said:

On USA cars, Left and right are different, per the BMW parts manuals. Also early (pre-74) buckets are a different part number from later ones. They may be interchangeable, but make sure you get the parts from someone that knows the variations.

I believe, Paul, that the difference between the round and square taillight versions is limited to the headlight retaining ring -- zinc-plated (round taillight) versus black powdercoated (square taillight) -- and those retaining rings are included as a component of the headlight bucket assembly, hence the different part numbers.  Whether or not that is the case, I've restored a dozen of the buckets, transplanted round taillight buckets into square taillights, and vice versa, and have yet to find a difference in the underlying buckets.

There are very subtle differences among examples of the buckets but it's not absolutely clear to me that those differences are even a function of time or intentional development; they might be simply a function of different suppliers.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)