• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centre console production question

Driv3r

For the most part I believe if there is the flange around the shifter opening in the floor to attach the shifter boot then it would have had the short console.  My guess is there probably were a few built right at the changeover that might have had the flange and the long console. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Switchover to the long console occurred mid-year, generally in April 1971.  This happened to Euro and U.S.-spec cars.  The revised version (long console, black instrument faces, long-tail rear bumper, knee trim, etc.) is referred to as a Modell 71 by BMW.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Spot on Byron I had a very early 72 that had 12 fuse box and a 1bbl carb engine, model 71 was a very ruff turn over. but it did have a long console and a shift boot ring, sold that car to TBN and it was the one he supercharged I'm sure you have seen it.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Switchover to the long console occurred mid-year, generally in April 1971.  This happened to Euro and U.S.-spec cars.  The revised version is referred to as a Modell 71 by BMW.

Regards,

Steve

Yes, as per the parts book, the long console began with the model 71 in April '71

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 5/5/2017 at 9:30 AM, echappe said:

My 71, 2570258, came with knee trim, long bumoers and short console

Yours is a January 1971 car, which predates the Modell 71.  With all due respect, I suspect the knee trim and long bumpers were added post factory.  So many '02 owners rushed to "update" their '02's after the introduction of knee trim and long bumpers that BMW started offering a "kit" of all the knee trim to "make your car look like the new models".  The page below is from a 1972 accessories brochure.  How big was this craze?  I had just about everything I needed to "update" my '70, including long-tail rear bumper and front bumper ends, when I totaled the car....

Oops.  Was someone sending me a sign? ?

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_3511.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

5 hours ago, echappe said:

My 71, 2570258, came with knee trim, long bumoers and short console

The model 71 cars started with VIN 2572070, and, in theory, so did the long bumpers, knee trim and long-sided consoles.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17