• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Trimming Foil/Acella Cloth query

02Les

So, I have searched!!

I realise this trimming foil for the doors has an adhesive side.....but.....is it enough to keep it on the door, or, should I apply some sort of glue?

Thanks

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

no glue !!, and if you are like me, and I tried and tried to get everything correct with the windows, and such prior to adding the covering, and the door panels,,, inevitably you have to get back in there, so pulling down the covering it required, you don't want glue holding it on. I purchased the real stuff to replace it, vs. a shower curtain or other comprise others have done.

The adhesive is fine on that stuff, and then the door panels and clips also hold it in place,,,

no glue !

1 hour ago, Russell74Fjord said:

no glue !!, and if you are like me, and I tried and tried to get everything correct with the windows, and such prior to adding the covering, and the door panels,,, inevitably you have to get back in there, so pulling down the covering it required, you don't want glue holding it on. I purchased the real stuff to replace it, vs. a shower curtain or other comprise others have done.

The adhesive is fine on that stuff, and then the door panels and clips also hold it in place,,,

no glue !

Thanks, appreciate the reply.

I have both sides ready to go......but......I'll give it a day or so until I'm "confident" everything in the door is in place, tight & adjusted as best can be.

Les

FAQ Member #17

Hey, this is a new one on me- where do you get this?

I've tried many things, and for a wet climate, I've never found

anything that works very well, besides the long- unobtainium factory stuff....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

4 hours ago, TobyB said:

Hey, this is a new one on me- where do you get this?

part #51951924961

I bought mine from Wallothnesch, before they instituted their one-rate shipping fee.

Blunt has it.

Tony

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

Likewise, I got it from W&N along with several Touring parts a year or so ago.

W&N do not need your life's history (or your cars') if you are ordering parts for a BMW that wasn't originally supplied to the US.

Les

FAQ Member #17

The original stuff that BMW used as acella cloth was fairly flimsy plastic film that got brittle with age.  When mine finally had more duct tape patching it than actual plastic, I just bought some Visqueen by the foot, enough to do both doors.  IIRC I used some kind of glue that remains tacky around each opening, pressed the Visqueen into it and replaced the upholstery panel.  It's been working fine for at least 20 years, maybe longer.  Cheap too.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite