• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E24 Seat Belts Install, Chapter 2 Belt Receiver Placement

Ok, been trying to figure out how to install the E24 rear seat receivers on my '02 last couple of days.  Since the last post was a dud I will try to clarify the latest issues 

Looking at the base of the receivers, they are shaped to over lap each other (one plate base is slightly wider and taller than the other, with nubs on the smaller one and not on the other), with a single large bolt that goes through both.  Given the shape and contour of the belt fastener openings on the base console, it seems that this configuration is the only way for both receivers to fit in that space. However in doing so it elevates the entire console base about 8mm, which would necessitate cutting some of the material directly above where the plates for the base console to fit against the back bulkhead / wall.  Is this the correct logic for such a task to do?

I looked at all the pics that have been posted (with the exception of the really old postings that did not make it to the new site set up), I don't see any that show how the seat belt receivers are placed / installed.  Any direction on what worked on those who have installed this set up would be a tremendous help.

Regards,

Justin 

Ok, here are some pics. I have set them into their position with temporary rivets. But the fit into the console cavity and center right under the console.  I have built a backing plate to go under the drive shaft tunnel for the assembly to bolt into.  My only issue is that the receivers elevate the console which means that I have to remove some of the console padding to sit correctly again.  

I looked at REALOEM and the earlier E24 versions had this bracket set up while that ending years had receivers something similar to that in the front seat of the '02s (a cable base with receiving head).

Any thoughts to my plan thought process?

Thanks again!

IMG_2173 (1).JPG

IMG_2174 (1).JPG

IMG_2188 (1).JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

Would spreading the brackets slightly and then adding a bend in each one to bring the receivers back towards vertical again help? The console may sit lower then. 

A few minutes with a vice and maybe a hammer?

I hope your backing plate is also good and strong. There will be potentially the load of two people stopping sharply in an accident being applied at an angle which may tend to pull the bolt through. Very sturdy with a significant surface area is what's needed. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

You need to separate them. One bolt holding the pair is not real safe and not (I believe) how they are mounted in the E24.

As Simeon said, you need to modify them; maybe take the bend out and make them straight so they can be bolted through the edge/side of the tunnel (like the front receivers).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Well I tried to apply some "persuasion" with Mr. Vice and Mr. BFH.  The German steel is quite robust!  Could not make a dent or bend in the curve without damaging the receivers, and I don't have a hydraulic press to take it to the next level.

The only option I can think of is using the later model receiver where it is a cable based format, would anyone know a source of those?  

Try your local junkyard for an E24 & grab the fronts. I think the cable length from the bottom of the receiver is maybe 5~6" long.

From what I can see on my E24, the front receiver (less cable) looks the same shape as the rear one. Not much of it sticks out the rear console anyway.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17