• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Help!

Hi everyone, I have this awkward window slop I need help diagnosing. I recently had the car painted and now I'm stuck piecing it back together. My main issue is the windows on both side seem to have a front to back slop. I have attached a video to better illustrate the movement. If you were sitting in the front seats the window can move towards the front of the car or towards the rear of the car. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this kind of play? I know how to adjust it for away from the car and towards the car. Also the rear channel shaft is mounted all the way forward as well. 

Thanks in advanced. 

IMG_0704.MOV.mov

i am interested in the same sort of adjustment. Mine are hard to roll up.  I was told that you need to make sure that both the channels that the windows run in need to be parallel. Closer together gets rid of the slop, but too close makes them bind. 

That is all I know.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

You're correct WRT making the window channels parallel to each other, and tight enough so the window doesn't get cocked in its track, but not so tight that it's hard to roll up and down--that'll quickly wear out the lift mechanism.  

First check your window tracks carefully  to see if they're badly worn.  If there's metal showing under the felt/cloth llining, it's time to replace 'em.  Then you'll need to adjust those tracks.  The front track is part of the vent window bracket assembly; it is adjustable in three planes--up and down, fore and aft, and in and out.  Adjust it first so that the vent window frame seals properly against the door gasket to prevent leaks and wind whistles.  Then adjust the rear channel (which also moves in three planes) so it's parallel to the front one, and the window moves up and down smoothly, and seals properly along its top and trailing edge.  It's a long, time-consuming job but done properly you'll have an air and water tight seal, and the glass will move smoothly up and down.

cheers

mike  

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite