• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tires

2002#3

Guess I got lucky and grabbed the last two 185/70s from Lucas about a month ago. I murdered my front two after doing 6k miles last year with excessive toe-in. Sure hope my toe is better now!

Edited by toddfx

I guess I'll be sticking with my awesome Toyo Extensa A/S 185/70's on the Thrasher for a while.  I've already got the CN36's on my other car.  The Toyo's aren't actually that bad of a tire IMO.  But, can you even get those Toyos anymore?  Dunno?

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Watch your date codes if you find something in Pirelli.

Vredestein classics pricey at Coker (somehow Tire Rack does not have them listed, but call them?). 

Just use Kumho's from Tire Rack for a while??

I prefer the Vredesteins but it seems the 185/70/13 are no longer made, I ordered the pirelli and delivery is set the end of August… I find the Pirelli to be extremely soft…

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I see that Dunlop 185/70-13 are available from Longstone. I used them on my 73 Ford Capri 2.6 and loved them back in the 1970’s. Good price. I’d try those. 

The Michelin tires are great when new but the rubber hardens quickly. No bueno. 

Edited by Lengrep
Added content.

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

9 hours ago, stapler123 said:

They look cool, but I  can't see putting 1/5th the price of my 02 into one of the most frequent wear items. I don't even pay that much for 10 ply rated off road tires that are like twice the height. The CN36 is about my limit for suffering for fashion. Maybe if I had 02 turbo money I wouldn't mind it. 

To each his own. Brakes and tires are the two things I never scrounge on and I want to enjoy the car but safely. Its not transportation for me. Fashion for me is xdx, the two performant tires are xvs and cn36, you don't get similar performance in the low budget range. 

On second thought I would agree with the basic premise of not putting cn36's on a 2002 worth $3,000, since it probably has more pressing issues than the tires...

Andrew

Edited by Oldtimerfahrer
Missed a point
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Hang fire team!

There are more 185/70R13 Cinturato CN36 on their way. I still don't beleive that anything else is as good for your cars as road tyres. I think i should have more, hopefully late August, probably early September.

The world of tyre manufacturing has been thrown into chaos:-

• Factory close downs during the pandemic meant that stocks of tyres have disappeared.
  • Raw materials are in dreadfully short supply.
  • International shipping has gone mental, shortage of container, containers stuck in warehouses because there are no drivers to move them meaning the next container ship has no where to unload its container. The fact that some numpty crashed a ship in the Panama canal did not help.
  • How about if several tyre manufacturers built factories in Russia? Well what happens then is; the massive volume of tyres that is supposed to come out of Russia then have to be made in the other factories around the world, increasing the demand, while not helping ewith the supply.

All these factors are effecting all the different tyre manufaturers, modern and classic. Even if one specific tyre manufacturer, through some stroke of genius, managed to perfectly manage all these difficulties, they still would not have enough production space because of the massive current demand out their from every sector of the tyre trade. (of which classic tyres is not the most important)

However through some extensive groveling and begging Pirelli have pulled out all the stops to make a new batch of the 185/70R13 CN36 which i should have soon.

I was also pleasantly suprised to hear that they have managed to finish another project that I have been begging for since before the lock down. I should also be receiving my first production of the 165R13 Cinturato CN36 as well, which is great news.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Longstone Tyres said:

Hang fire team!

There are more 185/70R13 Cinturato CN36 on their way. I still don't beleive that anything else is as good for your cars as road tyres. I think i should have more, hopefully late August, probably early September.

The world of tyre manufacturing has been thrown into chaos:-

• Factory close downs during the pandemic meant that stocks of tyres have disappeared.
  • Raw materials are in dreadfully short supply.
  • International shipping has gone mental, shortage of container, containers stuck in warehouses because there are no drivers to move them meaning the next container ship has no where to unload its container. The fact that some numpty crashed a ship in the Panama canal did not help.
  • How about if several tyre manufacturers built factories in Russia? Well what happens then is; the massive volume of tyres that is supposed to come out of Russia then have to be made in the other factories around the world, increasing the demand, while not helping ewith the supply.

All these factors are effecting all the different tyre manufaturers, modern and classic. Even if one specific tyre manufacturer, through some stroke of genius, managed to perfectly manage all these difficulties, they still would not have enough production space because of the massive current demand out their from every sector of the tyre trade. (of which classic tyres is not the most important)

However through some extensive groveling and begging Pirelli have pulled out all the stops to make a new batch of the 185/70R13 CN36 which i should have soon.

I was also pleasantly suprised to hear that they have managed to finish another project that I have been begging for since before the lock down. I should also be receiving my first production of the 165R13 Cinturato CN36 as well, which is great news.

Legend

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I get the tire shortage the boat trailer company I retired as of last month had 1200 trailers all built and ready to deliver to customers but have no tires.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

21 hours ago, Longstone Tyres said:

… However through some extensive groveling and begging Pirelli have pulled out all the stops to make a new batch of the 185/70R13 CN36 which i should have soon.

I was also pleasantly suprised to hear that they have managed to finish another project that I have been begging for since before the lock down. I should also be receiving my first production of the 165R13 Cinturato CN36 as well, which is great news…

All excellent news. We are most appreciative of your groveling, sir! ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ha Ha!

I thought i had taught my kids to grovel when needed. However my 17 year old son just got tugged off by the police for his first time, and didn't manage to grovel his way out of a speeding ticket.

Mind you he probably won't get done off of his mum quite as much as his older brother did when he rolled her car into a hedge 2 months after passing his driving liscence.

why would you have kids?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

The support form Longstone has been incredible. Getting the tires produced that no one seemed to care about. Getting the tires delivered in time for major events even if US Customs are a pain. 

And why do we have kids?  Well, mine is not close to 17 years old yet, but taking a 2.5 year old on a 2 week, 2800km road trip in a 58 year old car seems like a good idea :)

Steve K.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store