• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guibo... Oh my.

What's wrong with this picture?

Doesn't help that the PO randomly mixed in 2 16mm bolts with the rest of the 17s. My knuckles thanks you for that.

James 

IMG_20170526_185735.jpg

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

I assume you will have all that back together by Sunday... right?

Did that come apart while you were driving?

I have seen the damage that can do.

Hopefully yours was minimal.

The torn guibo I saw had string of some sort cast into the rubber.

That allowed it to flail a large chunk around, with a bolt beating the shit out of everything it could reach.

37 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

What's wrong with this picture?

Doesn't help that the PO randomly mixed in 2 16mm bolts with the rest of the 17s. My knuckles thanks you for that.

James 

IMG_20170526_185735.jpg

Always disconcerting when the new one looks exactly the same as the old one, except... in one piece. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Nope, I got to it before it imploded. Thank God. It was falling apart onto my head when I took it out. 

All back together in 2 hours. Not bad for a first time newbie. At least I think so. It helps that Patrick O'Neal gave me some pro tips before I got after it. 

Hopefully I'll get to Danco level skills some day. 

Now for some deep cleaning before Sunday's show. 

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

I'm a firm believer in OEM "guibo bolts".

I used generic bolts once (duh) and although I tightened the crap out of them they could still twist in their holes and start to "click", then "thump" "thump" "thump".  We all know what happens next.

Guibo bolts have the 17mm head, not the 14mm head on a generic M10 bolt.  The generic bolt (head) allows the bolts to twist and subsequently distort the guibo, making for an early failure.  

Good job under the car boys.  20 minutes is amazing.  2 hours is decent.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

53 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I'm a firm believer in OEM "guibo bolts".

I used generic bolts once (duh) and although I tightened the crap out of them they could still twist in their holes and start to "click", then "thump" "thump" "thump".  We all know what happens next.

Guibo bolts have the 17mm head, not the 14mm head on a generic M10 bolt.  The generic bolt (head) allows the bolts to twist and subsequently distort the guibo, making for an early failure.  

Good job under the car boys.  20 minutes is amazing.  2 hours is decent.

OEM bolts are always a good choice but they are not that special. Standard M10 bolt has 17mm head. 14mm head would be very special that I've never seen.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

7 hours ago, Tommy said:

OEM bolts are always a good choice but they are not that special. Standard M10 bolt has 17mm head. 14mm head would be very special that I've never seen.

+1 = standard M10 bolt has 17mm head.

In my opinion and experience, it would be prudent to consider buying the OE guibo from BMW (as opposed to any of the aftermarket units). The OE guibos are typically 3-6x the price, yet the quality (durometer, and manufacturing quality) has resulted in improved longevity . -KB

Time for superglue!!!

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Six bolt and eight bolt ones suffer the same issues. Buy a cheap one and it may fail prematurely. I switched to febi/Bilstein ones sourced from @BLUNT and haven't had any issues.  If you carry a spare one on long trips it spends time in the trunk.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, kbmb02 said:

+1 = standard M10 bolt has 17mm head.

What the ...!!  This is going back to 2012 so I have to research what happened.

...I'm back.  No wonder I had guibo problems.  Turns out I had M8 bolts in my quibo.  I remember having all kinds of problems.  Guibo was expanding and hitting the shifter platform.  Guibo was distorting and I couldn't tighten the bolts enough.  I gave up and bought the OEM bolts, all the while thinking that they were proprietary bolts and different in design.   Haven't had a problem since. Obviously!   

Somewhere back in time the original bolts were discarded or lost and replaced with smaller bolts.  I'm not sure if I bought the M8s or if the supplier sold me the wrong bolt.  Ultimately the mistake got by me, until now.

Sorry for the misinformation.  :wacko: again.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a problem with getting a single bolt back in the hole.  It fell out today, I suppose because of the recent transmission swap.  I have a bolt that will fit for now, until the correct one comes from Cali. The problem is that it wont slide in. It is hard to tell from the pic, but you can see how the hole in the guibo doesn't line up.  Is there a trick? Do I put a clamp around the rubber it to squeeze it in?

Thanks

M

IMG_1377.thumb.JPG.85c1fbd181bcf78ecf839af1f9124968.JPG 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Yep, put a clamp around it to shrink it so the bolts can go in. All the guibos I've purchased came with a steel strap wrapped around them to allow easy assembly. I'd cut the strap off after the bolts were all tightened. Is this still the normal configuration on new guibos?

Jerry

no bimmer, for now