• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guibo... Oh my.

Yep, mine came with the strap on it and I took it off when I was done bolting it in. A couple of my bolts needed a little gentle persuasion from a 3lb dead blow hammer to go through. 

Otherwise, it was pretty straight forward. 

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Rick Stevenson helped me with the technique of getting on the end of the bolt with a spanner prying the end of the bolt down (pushing the tip closer to the hole) and tapping it in with a hammer. Took about 3 min. Worked a charm!

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

So easy to use a hose clamp available from most hardware stores or CanTire (where I bought mine).  No wedging, banging, scarring threads.  I put the clamp on BEFORE removing the guibo as well.  All bolts slip out (and in) easily.

Just like the replacement guibo has a metal strap to compress the guibo, the hose clamp compresses the guibo to it's working size.  

Just have to remember to remove the clamp before driving the car. :)

DSC02378fx2.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

It's pretty straight forward. Mostly he told me to disconnect the exhaust to get it out of the way and put it in neutral to be able to rotate the wheels to get to all the bolts. That and keep the metal strip on until after its installed as mentioned above. He also mentioned that some bolts would need to be persuaded to be removed or installed and to go ahead and use a hammer. I'd never done it before so he walked me through step by step. 

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

Funny, I've been mispronouncing it as well. I think people, including most mechanics, refer to them as 'gweebo'.

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"