• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Period correct mirrors for my car

Driv3r

There is a seller on ebay (gullwing331) who sells traps for both sides. There are new runs but same as the old ones in shape and function. Flag mirrors in good shape can be bought cheaply as used items (ebay, FAQ, etc), also available as new from BMW (ask blunttech)

There is a seller on ebay (gullwing331) who sells traps for both sides. There are new runs but same as the old ones in shape and function. Flag mirrors in good shape can be bought cheaply as used items (ebay, FAQ, etc), also available as new from BMW (ask blunttech)

Yes they're all available at a price. Rogerstii sell the repro at $202.64 each. Blunttech sell them for $195.62 each and my local dealer sell the same one for $398 each. They're (in my opinion) better built and quality than used OEM.

Vintageautobahn has both mirrors, $100 each and excellent quality.

I must disagree with when flags were introduced. My 74 when brand new and my one owner 75 had a single trap mirror, they may have been introduced during the 75 model run but not at the start.  As of 1/76 they were not even in the e9 parts books but most coupes now have flags.  Since our cars came with only a driver mirror, in later years if you wanted to add the passenger side only flags were available and they do provide better visibility.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

On 5/28/2017 at 11:16 PM, HBChris said:

I must disagree with when flags were introduced. My 74 when brand new and my one owner 75 had a single trap mirror, they may have been introduced during the 75 model run but not at the start.  As of 1/76 they were not even in the e9 parts books but most coupes now have flags.  Since our cars came with only a driver mirror, in later years if you wanted to add the passenger side only flags were available and they do provide better visibility.

+1

The flag mirror was introduced at the very end of the 1974 calendar year.  Thus, all U.S. 1974 models received a trap mirror from the factory (but for a few of the very late "1974 model" tii's -- possibly some November and December 1974 tii's).  You got one mirror on U.S. models.  A right-side mirror was strictly a dealer-installed accessory.

As Mike S. points out, every (EVERY!) photo that appears in the 1975 and 1976 U.S. brochures was taken on or before August 1974 (shown as "8/74" in the earliest version).  This is the date of the earliest 1975 brochure and BMW simply re-used the photos in different ever-so-slightly-altered versions of the brochures (the longer versions have the Siena metallic car on the cover, the shorter versions have an all-red cover).  You will notice, for instance, that the brochure with the Siena metallic car on the cover even shows a 1974-model rear seat (second photo below).  I'm guessing they had a version of the 1975-76 front seats available in August 1974, but they didn't yet have an example of the 1975-76 rear seat!

I'll keep saying it until it's common household knowledge:  "The flag mirror was NOT introduced with the square taillight!"

Regards,

Steve

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 hours ago, HBChris said:

That's a good price.

From Europe I can only find used in not so great condition for €100. New ones begin at €140 pc.

I'm grateful if someone can tip me a pair of flags for €200 or less in Europe.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Jim,  By the time an owner wanted a passenger mirror traps may not have been available and flags offer better visibility.

HBChris

21 hours ago, jgerock said:

We get it.  But why are there so many more flag mirror-equipped 2002's when the majority came with trapezoidal ones?

Jim,

The driver side mirror on my '76 was knocked off by a passing car ca. 1977, while the car was parked on a narrow street.   That, or a similar mishap, was Step One for many owners.  For Step Two, owners were excited by the considerably larger flag mirrors, and rushed to upgrade, just as they were excited by the new knee trim in April 1971 and rushed to upgrade (a knee trim "kit" was available from BMW).  And Step Three, just as Chris pointed out, in the late '70's/early '80's, dual outside rear view mirrors moved from the exception to the norm, and BMW was only peddling flag mirrors.  So you're going to add a flag mirror on the right side and keep your trap on the left?

Some '02 enthusiasts were admittedly sentimental about round taillights at the time of the transition to square taillights.  But I never heard a single person, in the '70's, express analogous sentiments toward trap or swan's neck mirrors.  I recall how I hated the swan's neck mirror on my '67: useless due to its small size and awkward placement!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Some '02 enthusiasts were admittedly sentimental about round tail lights.  I never heard a single person, in the '70's, express analogous sentiments toward trap or swan's neck mirrors.

Maybe, but I'm sure back in the 70's people were expressing analogous sentiments towards their 1930's BMW 328 sports coupe and it's correct mirrors. [emoji6]

One final note: US 74 2002s manual and auto were only built until July 74, 75s rolled off the line immediately thereafter.  My 75 is a Nov 74 build date and had the single trap so end of calendar year 74 is most likely when they were introduced as Steve has said.

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

13 hours ago, HBChris said:

My 75 is a Nov 74 build date and had the single trap so end of calendar year 74 is most likely when they were introduced as Steve has said.

Interesting--that's the first model year '75 I've heard of with a trapezoid mirror installed during production, which once again confirms the factory practice of continuing to install trim items until they ran out, regardless of model year and/or what the parts book says!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite