• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

feeler- 1971 BMW 2002 Roundie

mbausa2001

Price: $100

Description:

I'm having a hard time valuing my car. so I'd appreciate your comments and criticism of what needs to be corrected.  I know it's worth $23K plus.  all gauges and heater work. AC interior fan blows but no cold air. engine is solid and shifts smooth- all vin# on body including steering wheels, door panels etc match.  miles unknown and odometer does not work.   

original color Sahara 

Matching Vin engine block steering wheel body 
Stripped to metal fresh new Agave paint-  
Custom made BMW leather restored seats
Custom Imported German loop Cognac floor carpet (L906)
4-speed Manual transmission 
All new BMW gaskets/seals

i'd say 99% rust free.  Just to say it's not perfect.  

Edited by mbausa2001
Closed.

Although the paint looks great, resprays, especially in a different color than what was original, often don't help the price.

99% rust free? No CA Blue plate? History? Story? Records? Every single piece of suspension/bushings/brakes/cost of replacement parts? Documentation? There's no real description so just based on what you see could be 12k - 15k. Not 23 yet.

Close up pictures of the chrome look dented/scratched, cracked dash, steering wheel cover. Wouldn't say 20s really.

Put it on BaT. Might get that 23! Never know.

I think pink provided good insight with respect to price. Although the market is (overly) inflated right now, I still think folks buying these cars are going to be more particular when it comes to shelling out the more ambitious numbers for a nice example. Also, IMHO no matter how great a paint job, if the interior, chrome, and trim details don't match the condition of the exterior then unfortunately a car's first impression and perceived value might suffer accordingly.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

10 hours ago, mbausa2001 said:

Appreciate everyone's comments.  If I decide to sell the car I'll provide a lot more details/invoices  and supporting documents to support a higher value.   Thanks everyone.  Let's go ahead and close this thread.  

Sir, you have had it for sale on Craigslist for a month or more. I think your asking price v car condition is optimistic.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I beg to differ, Sir, 02Les.  This is not a money making venture for me, but running out of room syndrome. my "feeler Craigs listing was when I was eyeing an E36 M3 which I just purchased.   a recent $33,000+ sale of an immaculate 1971 2002 has set the bar.  This car by no means is in an immaculate condition, but someone who wants a solid/pleasant driving car with no hassle will consider the higher value.  Having said that, I'm just trying to reimburse myself at $10 per hour for all the time & efforts I've put into this. People should not forget to cost out the time they put into bringing a car to a good status.   Nonetheless, I do value your opinion.  

5 hours ago, mbausa2001 said:

Having said that, I'm just trying to reimburse myself at $10 per hour for all the time & efforts I've put into this. People should not forget to cost out the time they put into bringing a car to a good status.   Nonetheless, I do value your opinion.

I think its kind of common knowledge that when it comes time to sell a vehicle you restored, you never get paid for the labor or time you spent on the project.  The only way you can add labor, efforts, research, crying, loss of fingers, divorce, etc. to a price is if you build it for someone else who's willing to pay you a lot of money.  If I calculated the countless hours I've spent working on my car and added it to the price of my car,  I could probably sell it for a million dollars.  People are only going to pay around what the common value is for a car.  While our cars continue to go up, one cant expect to sell a car for $30,000 when many similar condition cars are selling for $13,000 (unless you get lucky!).  No disrespect, I hope you get over what you're asking for the car, I just think your selling points may be a little off.  Good luck if you do decide to sell it. 

Edited by doslucero

a recent $33,000+ sale of an immaculate 1971 2002 has set the bar.  This car by no means is in an immaculate condition, but someone who wants a solid/pleasant driving car with no hassle will consider the higher value.  Having said that, I'm just trying to reimburse myself at $10 per hour for all the time & efforts I've put into this. People should not forget to cost out the time they put into bringing a car to a good status.   Nonetheless, I do value your opinion.    

Not sure what you were hoping to gain from your post. You came here looking for help with assessment and value, but when folks estimate value less than what you think the car is worth, you respectfully dismiss their feedback on pricing. You state that you know your car is worth 23k plus. What are you basing this on? A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I can only assume that your original Craigslist posting did not garner as much interest as you expected because of your asking price, hence your inquiry here. Just because a mint example previously sold for 33k does not mean it establishes a new standard for pricing, nor does it imply that we can price our non-mint cars based on a proportion of that sales price. Again, this is an inflated and hyped market right now, but the high prices are mostly being earned by mint or near-mint examples. Cars of more typical driver condition or partial restorations are bringing in more realistic sales prices.This is a community of enthusiasts who are more in tune with current market trends than your average car guys. With all due respect, your assessment of value is greatly skewed and not at all in line with market reality. If you think that you can recover all or most of your labor and investment in an asking price and expect to get it, then you are not familiar enough with how restoration and this market works. People routinely get back pennies on the dollar after selling a restored car, knowing full well that is part of the hobby. We are car guys and girls. Logic rarely guides us when our passion drives. That is a well-understood truth. This is also the reason why it makes way more sense for a person (who wants a near show quality car) to pay 30k for a car that has been completely and correctly restored, instead of buying a car that is a nice solid driver for 20k that they would end up spending another 20k on to have the work done to get it to the level of the 30k car. One more thing that would help you would be to take much better pictures to represent the car. If the car has had as much work as you have described, then your photos need to represent that and offer prospective buyers the best first impression. As an example, the fact that your pictures of the back seat had a Kleenex box left there sitting on the seat left me with the impression that the person was not very concerned with presentation. Not a huge deal, but when you combine that sort of presentation with a really high asking price it creates some confusion with the perception of the car. Please understand that we all want you to get the best price you can for your car, because all of us '02 owners benefit from it. But I just wanted to offer some honest feedback to you based on your original inquiry that I think will help, if you really want the car to sell for a fair price.

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

6 minutes ago, RenaissanceMan said:

Not sure what you were hoping to gain from your post. You came here looking for help with assessment and value, but when folks estimate value less than what you think the car is worth, you respectfully dismiss their feedback on pricing. You state that you know your car is worth 23k plus. What are you basing this on? A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I can only assume that your original Craigslist posting did not garner as much interest as you expected because of your asking price, hence your inquiry here. Just because a mint example previously sold for 33k does not mean it establishes a new standard for pricing, nor does it imply that we can price our non-mint cars based on a proportion of that sales price. Again, this is an inflated and hyped market right now, but the high prices are mostly being earned by mint or near-mint examples. Cars of more typical driver condition or partial restorations are bringing in more realistic sales prices.This is a community of enthusiasts who are more in tune with current market trends than your average car guys. With all due respect, your assessment of value is greatly skewed and not at all in line with market reality. If you think that you can recover all or most of your labor and investment in an asking price and expect to get it, then you are not familiar enough with how restoration and this market works. People routinely get back pennies on the dollar after selling a restored car, knowing full well that is part of the hobby. We are car guys and girls. Logic rarely guides us when our passion drives. That is a well-understood truth. This is also the reason why it makes way more sense for a person (who wants a near show quality car) to pay 30k for a car that has been completely and correctly restored, instead of buying a car that is a nice solid driver for 20k that they would end up spending another 20k on to have the work done to get it to the level of the 30k car. One more thing that would help you would be to take much better pictures to represent the car. If the car has had as much work as you have described, then your photos need to represent that and offer prospective buyers the best first impression. As an example, the fact that your pictures of the back seat had a Kleenex box left there sitting on the seat left me with the impression that the person was not very concerned with presentation. Not a huge deal, but when you combine that sort of presentation with a really high asking price it creates some confusion with the perception of the car. Please understand that we all want you to get the best price you can for your car, because all of us '02 owners benefit from it. But I just wanted to offer some honest feedback to you based on your original inquiry that I think will help, if you really want the car to sell for a fair price.

Let me start by stating that I do have high respect for folks on this forum, and have benefited tremendously from everyone's knowledge and hands-on experience.  On the price, I guess we have a difference of opinion and I probably did not do a good job of presenting the car.  But my goal wasn't to present it for a sale, but rather get some feedback..  Your honest feedback is  much appreciated.  

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, mbausa2001 said:
I'm having a hard time valuing my car... I know it's worth $23K plus.  

Those two sentences are in conflict with each other. 

Let's not confuse the close to original Colorado on BaT which sold for $30k+ with color change, restored cars.  Contact BaT - see what they would push for your reserve.  They know the market well.  I would assume they would recommend a reserve of $15-17k tops.

SMH.

So...... the whole point of this thread originally was to try and determine the value of your car, yet you are unwilling to disclose how much you sold the car for, which would help to confirm what the perceived value was of your car was in the first place. ??? [emoji5]

I'm confused, but happy for you that you sold the car. [emoji106] Hope our feedback was helpful regardless. I trust it went to a good home that will appreciate it.

Adam in Nashville