• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper speed ?

1972 02

i turn the wipers and they are crazy slow 

turn off then back on and the they are fast

( sometimes) off, on, off, on sometimes fast

sometimes slow

motors good not sure it I should  look at stalk control or dash speed control 

maybe remove dash speed control and 

spray with Deoxit ?

suggestions appreciated 

IMG_0763.PNG

Check the connections under the hood that plug into the wiper motor harness.  They should be just in front of wiper motor on the inside of the firewall.  Also check the ground wire that comes from that harness.  It is usually grounded to the firewall.  It sometimes only requires disconnecting the spade connectors and plugging them back in.  If you have Deoxit all the better.  If the connectors look corroded re-terminating them is a good idea.

Also, the wiper arm mechanism itself in the fresh air trough might be so worn that it produces these symptoms.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Binding from corrosion in the linkage or  wear (usually the brushes, sometimes the bushings in the motor) can do it too..

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, halboyles said:

Check the connections under the hood that plug into the wiper motor harness.  They should be just in front of wiper motor on the inside of the firewall.  Also check the ground wire that comes from that harness.  It is usually grounded to the firewall.  It sometimes only requires disconnecting the spade connectors and plugging them back in.  If you have Deoxit all the better.  If the connectors look corroded re-terminating them is a good idea.

Also, the wiper arm mechanism itself in the fresh air trough might be so worn that it produces these symptoms.

I ve  done all that and more

also had motor checked

its down to two things, stalk or dash speed knob

thanks for your reply

Edited by Road trip

There are a couple of other possibilities also.  The ground behind the instrument cluster and wiper/washer relay.  Since you'll have to remove the instrument cluster to check the wiper pull switch, you'll find the ground point just behind it.  It will have several brown wires screwed into the sheet metal.  These wires are usually in good shape but the screw/sheet metal contact can be corroded.  The wiper/washer relay should be near the passenger side of the distributor and it is grounded to the same ground point (#51) as the pull switch.  I don't know how it would cause the wiper motor to change speeds, but it is worth investigating for functionality.  

Here's a wiring diagram of the whole mess designed to confuse you even more.  This is for '73 on but should be very similar to your '72 wiring.

Wiper-Washer Wiring Diagram 73 on.png

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Two things:

\On '72 and '73 cars, the wiper on-off switch is kinda Mickey Mouse--it's a little toggle switch buried inside the turn signal stalk assembly.  It can wear out, or more importantly the two little wires that lead to it (and run up the stalk) can wear and break from using the turn signal.  You'll want to check their continuity; if one of those wires is broken (or nearly so) internally it can be making intermittent contact.  I did a column on this; PM me for a copy.

I'd also check the wiper relay for proper function.  Inside the box is a set of relay points that actually turn the wiper motor on and off.  If they're corroded/burned/nasty looking, they can cause the symptoms you describe.  It's easy to pop the cover off the wiper control relay (near the turn signal relay, under the dash near the hood release lever) and observe the points in operation.  

cheers

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, halboyles said:

There are a couple of other possibilities also.  The ground behind the instrument cluster and wiper/washer relay.  Since you'll have to remove the instrument cluster to check the wiper pull switch, you'll find the ground point just behind it.  It will have several brown wires screwed into the sheet metal.  These wires are usually in good shape but the screw/sheet metal contact can be corroded.  The wiper/washer relay should be near the passenger side of the distributor and it is grounded to the same ground point (#51) as the pull switch.  I don't know how it would cause the wiper motor to change speeds, but it is worth investigating for functionality.  

Here's a wiring diagram of the whole mess designed to confuse you even more.  This is for '73 on but should be very similar to your '72 wiring.

Wiper-Washer Wiring Diagram 73 on.png

I've heard of a color-coded wiring diagram, of which this looks like a part!  Any chance you can direct me to the complete diagram ('72Tii)?

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

19 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

I've heard of a color-coded wiring diagram, of which this looks like a part!  Any chance you can direct me to the complete diagram ('72Tii)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-tii-1972-1973-COLOR-Wiring-Diagram-11x17-/320343024145

Not sure if this is correct for a Euro tii, but you could enquire with the Seller.

HTH

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks Les!  Order placed.

Just noticed...  that's quite stable of '02s you're runnin'!

Took my '72 Tii for a nice romp in the mountains today!  Loosening up nicely!

Here's a mark-up I did...

Wiring_Diagram 2002Tii w notes.pdf

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

3 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

Thanks Les!  Order placed.

Just noticed...  that's quite stable of '02s you're runnin'!

Took my '72 Tii for a nice romp in the mountains today!  Loosening up nicely!

Here's a mark-up I did...

Wiring_Diagram 2002Tii w notes.pdf

That was a smart idea. Always a nuisance going to/from the two separate pages in the Handbook.

My '74 Touring has just completed a 1.5 year refurbish (I'm not as quick as I used to be!)

Da Beater has locked up brakes...I'll fix it soon.

Blue is still a running project

Siena (project) needs attention

Siena (parts car) gone but not forgotten.

Added a few years back an '83 633csi and this has taken preference over the projects.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17