• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barn Find - Update

larryt

hi guys, 

ive been trying to not get too excited about this barnfind but every day im finding myself getting a little bit queezy at the prospect of owning it. 

The story so far:

a friend i used to work with starts seeing a new lady friend, he is a fellow petrol head but unlike us he is more into his supercars and fast things.. not old bricks with tiny engines.

she mentions to him that her granddad is a very keen petrol head and has a collect of old BMW's which he is looking to get rid of potentially soon.

i get a text message from him asking if i would be interested in viewing the cars before they get put up online/ebay/auction. 

now often when someone says they have an "old" bmw, they actually mean an e30 or e46 with rusty arches! but when i got sent pictures of what he has stored in his garage my heart ended up in my mouth!

IMG_0430.thumb.JPG.32445437a363dc2a6a002eadb318c0b3.JPG

IMG_0431.thumb.JPG.407787f6852a1df759683e39d7d11bfc.JPG

im not sure exactly what the engine is or what year it is (im hoping you guys might be able to help me with that) but it looks in fairly good condition, hopefully the bottom isnt too rusty.

now the painful bit.. ive been waiting for three weeks as my friends new lady friend was off traveling and ive had to sit on my hands and just wait for a text to let me know when i can go and view the collection, in the mean time i have secured financial backing from a friend so hopefully if all goes to plan it will be mine in the very near future. 

the plan would be to strip it down, clean it up and put her back together exactly as she is ready to enjoy! 

i will keep an update going on this thread and things progress.. the lady is back from america on saturday and im trying my best not to pester her to tie down a date to go and see it, but i am VERY impatient and worried itll be sold/given to someone else before i get in there! 

3 minutes ago, Simeon said:

I am sooooo f@cking jealous right now. I am now going to up vote your post. 

i havent really felt like this since i was a kid and it was nearly christmas.. im just not a very patient person and the suspense is actually killing me. 

you know when you read these things in articles you always think "yeah but no one actually ever gets a barn find, its a myth" .. its actually coming true for me. 

i just hope that i can get it for a reasonable price, over here they are obviously even more rare than the states so i was assume its worth somewhere in the region of 10-15k£

SWEEEEET  !!!!

Right hand drive

Petri wheel

Do I see a Tii clock on the dash ? :ph34r:

VERY COOL

Good luck!!!

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, zinz said:

SWEEEEET  !!!!

Right hand drive

Petri wheel

Do I see a Tii clock on the dash ? :ph34r:

VERY COOL

Good luck!!!

Ed Z

is there potential for it to be a Tii? im not sure how many touring Tii's in a RHD made it to the UK, i would hazard a guess that there is only a few left over here

I completely understand your anxiety.  I wouldn't be able to think about anything else.

If she's been back for a couple of days, it's time to contact her.  You love old BMWs and you're anxious to see what she has.  Nothing wrong with that and not too pushy.   Take enough cash to make a deposit if you reach a price.  Good luck.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I can't find my McCartney book at present. Definitely possible to have KFish injection maybe twin 40phh Solex carbs??

I may have just imagined that, should probably have read up more on tourings I suppose . I have a complete fantasy about finding a barn touring. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

You mention stripping it down. From what I am looking at it needs a good wash and a fluid change.  Your are very lucky indeed.  I also see from the location that it is in fact in a barn. Keep a keen eye on the wiring,  I have see ones that are completely eaten, not that it would change my mind on picking up such a fantastic looking gem!

Keep us posted please!

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

48 minutes ago, Simeon said:

I can't find my McCartney book at present.

McCartney book shows no RHD Tii Tourings, but there were 1537 built of Model 71 (September '71 - August '73) and 339 of Model 73 ( August '73 - April '74) for a total of 1876 RHD Tourings.  ( I bet Les will have more info about them)

Only a visit in person will tell you more.  Get the VIN when you go, Larry.  Check the VIN and engine #s match, too.

Very exciting stuff... I would make a plan to visit this weekend, without a doubt.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

As Ed said. No RHD tii Tourings built and RHD Tourings came with the 2 ltr motor only. RHD Tourings are almost as rare as Turbos with only 1876 built.

It has chrome front grilles, so it will be a model 71 ('71-'73).

The body looks real decent, bar the bottom of the right door.

Good luck.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 6/8/2017 at 11:36 AM, Simeon said:

I can't find my McCartney book at present. Definitely possible to have KFish injection maybe twin 40phh Solex carbs??

I may have just imagined that, should probably have read up more on tourings I suppose . I have a complete fantasy about finding a barn touring. 

I think, Simeon, that the touring body had an official press release in the beginning of 1971, just as the ti was being replaced by the tii, and as the modell 71 (knee trim, long console, 12 fuses, et al) was replacing....whatever you call '02's before the modell 71 (let's call them pre-modell 71).  So if, as Ed (a.k.a., He-of-Eagle-Like-Vision) pointed out, that is a factory clock next to the binnacle, I believe it would be a tii.  In my simplistic world -- which other forum members crush daily with actual facts -- all ti's were pre-modell 71 cars, all tii's were modell 71 or later cars, and all tourings were modell 71 or later cars.

And, oh yeah, all U.S. tii's came with a single trap mirror....except, of course, a few, possibly November 1974, but more likely December 1974, examples with the newly-introduced flag mirrors.  See, nothing is easy!

You seem pretty pumped up about 40PHH Solexes! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

WOW! This is (hopefully) storybook. I too, tend to be obsessive and impatient on stuff like this. Totally get it! Only you know the nuances of the relationship and the communication level that will get you first chance. My advice: push it, but don't over push it.

I love all the details our forum members have already been able to pick up and point on based on two photos. FAQ rocks!

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002