• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E21 LSD diff

jarocho

The housing was cast January 28, 1981 ("28  1  81" on underside).  Just under the pinion and ring tooth numbers "11    43", which tells us it's a 3.91 [43/11]), on the left front side of the housing, a month and year date should be stamped.  I clearly see the "3", which would be March, but I don't see a single-digit year underneath the month (I'm expecting 1981, which would be represented simply by a "1").  The stamped date, in contrast to the cast-in casting date, tells when the unit was assembled.  Just as a check that we're in the ballpark, the unit has 6-bolt covers on the output flanges, which indicates a unit manufactured after 1978.

Or....you can skip all this fuss and simply ask Toby, whose gut response gets you to the right answer...☺️

Below are three photos of the 1978 LSD currently in my '76.  Note the housing was cast April 26, 1978 ("26478" in first photo), and the unit was manufactured in May 1978 ("5" over "8" in second photo).  But, being and early e21 differential, the unit has 4-bolt covers on the output shafts.

Regards,

Steve

EDIT:  In the updated photos in the initial post, I can now see the "1" (i.e., the year stamp, representing 1981) below and slightly right-of-center with respect to the "3" (i.e., the month stamp, representing March.  Thus, the unit was assembled March 1981.

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

the unit has 6-bolt covers on the output flanges, which indicates a unit manufactured after 1978.

and sometime after about  the middle of 1979, too...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 6/11/2017 at 4:27 PM, Conserv said:

The housing was cast January 28, 1981 ("28  1  81" on underside).  Just under the pinion and ring tooth numbers "11    43", which tells us it's a 3.91 [43/11]), on the left front side of the housing, a month and year date should be stamped.  I clearly see the "3", which would be March, but I don't see a single-digit year underneath the month (I'm expecting 1981, which would be represented simply by a "1").  The stamped date, in contrast to the cast-in casting date, tells when the unit was assembled.  Just as a check that we're in the ballpark, the unit has 6-bolt covers on the output flanges, which indicates a unit manufactured after 1978.

Or....you can skip all this fuss and simply ask Toby, whose gut response gets you to the right answer...☺️

Below are three photos of the 1978 LSD currently in my '76.  Note the housing was cast April 26, 1978 ("26478" in first photo), and the unit was manufactured in May 1978 ("5" over "8" in second photo).  But, being and early e21 differential, the unit has 4-bolt covers on the output shafts.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

thank you, great info

ill be only doing the seals and bearing, which BTW any recommendations on where to get all of that?

On 6/11/2017 at 4:27 PM, Conserv said:

Regards,

Steve

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG