• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production Numbers

lastfm

26 minutes ago, HBChris said:

I have a large amount of US e9 production dates and the VINs are not consecutive when it comes to build dates.  They can vary by as much as three weeks so I would assume 2002s are the same, e.g. 1600001 was probably not the first US 2002 built.  And the start of the US model year production could be July, August or September, it varies depending on when they sandwiched in the US cars into the line.  But, they were always the next calendar year models to comply with DOT/EPA requirements.

Yes, Chris!

And, although I'm talking sub-models, the Archives data for U.S. tii's shows production of the first 1972 model in October '71, the first 1973 model in October 1972, and the first 1974 model in November 1973.  So the range of the beginning of the U.S. model year could be anywhere from July to November (disregarding new model introductions, such as the 2002 in January 1968)!

With the exception of a single VIN that appears to have been manufactured one day later than anticipated, I have, thus far, found strict chronological consistency among 2002 VIN's versus their manufacturing dates.  2002's were manufactured in large numbers, and each was manufactured in a single day.  I wonder if E9 production was less systematic (more....Alfa Romeo...) than '02 production...  Just speculating!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve,  Maybe because Karmann built the e9 bodies for BMW they are not sequential.  Karmann assigned a body number that is stamped into the lower A pillar under the Karmann Data Plate as well.  And the same colors weren't built on the same dates either which I thought might be the case.  Andreas informed me in February that he won't be supplying build dates to me anymore due to the rise in coupe values, strange.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

18 Aug '67 was a Friday............that seems an odd day to start a new model/design.

FWIW the 1967 calendar is the same as the current 2017 (just found that out!)

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

41 minutes ago, 02Les said:

18 Aug '67 was a Friday............that seems an odd day to start a new model/design.

FWIW the 1967 calendar is the same as the current 2017 (just found that out!)

They did one.  Called it a day!  Bierhalle!

Best regards,

Steve

4 hours ago, HBChris said:

Steve,  Maybe because Karmann built the e9 bodies for BMW they are not sequential.  Karmann assigned a body number that is stamped into the lower A pillar under the Karmann Data Plate as well.  And the same colors weren't built on the same dates either which I thought might be the case.  Andreas informed me in February that he won't be supplying build dates to me anymore due to the rise in coupe values, strange.

Hmmm, Chris, and much of the non-sequential nature of old Alfas ('50's and '60's) was attributable to having outside coachbuilders.

Andreas reaction is strange.  Are they simply trying to channel all those requests through $100 Certificates of Authenticity?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Steve,    I don't think so, they also won't release CSL build dates without proof of ownership.  I used to ask for 12 every three or four months.

Chris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix