• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-Pillar Door Seal Repair

My door seals are just fine, except for the part that has been rubbed on over the years.

I looked in the mirror the other day and a little flap was dangling out there flapping in the wind.

I pulled it off, so I would not lose it and today I glued it back in, using a strip of fabric as a backer.

018.thumb.JPG.f11052d692151d9481ad482cf3da982d.JPG019.thumb.JPG.d2ab3815f1b76ca3bb82146958d06e32.JPG

I think it came out okay after trimming the extra cloth.  There was a surprising amount of wind noise created by that missing piece.

021.thumb.JPG.7b5e7e326c178348bfdf99ab3aa9911d.JPG

I cut that back to the harder rubber base layer, and used a modern bit of generic weatherstripping there.

For some reason, on some era seals, those back edges seem to degrade badly in UV, while the rest of the seal's

just fine.

I think someone did a write- up on it... maybe a decade or so back!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Someone who can mold rubber or rubber-looking soft vinyl could make some $$ by reproducing that single piece of door weatherstripping.  Nine times out of ten the only part of the door weatherstrip that is in bad shape is that one section that seals against the window's trailing edge.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Since bringing my Touring over from the UK in 2000, I have been collecting parts for the inevitable refurbishment. In 2006 I bought a pair of URO door seals (BMW ones were NLA then).

Spring forward to now, and I attempted to fit said UROs and found the same problem as most people. My original seals were good except for the part that ran down the B-pillar. So, not wanting to pay BMW close to $600 for their new ones, I removed the B-pillar part from my original seals and used that part from the UROs. Worked a treat, especially as the pair of UROs had only cost $212 inc shipping back in '06.

For those of you that have removed URO seals in favour of BMW ones, you may find a decent market to sell the B-pillar part from the UROs. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17