• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Frame rail

TNan

3 hours ago, Henning said:

I get all my parts from Wallesh and unfotunately they don't have any LEFT rails available (only the right side). And theres no indication to when they will receive them again. I'm beating myself over the head  for not ordering it last year when it was available.  I reached out to BMW Toronto and waiting to hear back.

Are you using the part number for US or Euro version - and what year specifically? 

There were at least three different sets of part numbers for the US / No America rails:

up to 1973 (used captive carriage bolts for bumper brackets)

USA 1973 (used through bolts for bumper brackets)

USA 74-76 (had gigantic boxes for bumper shocks)

I bet ONE of these variants is still available, no? And it could be easily modified to suit your year / model.

The company "Restoration Design" lists frame rails and other OEM parts, but I have found their retail prices to be as much as 20-40% more than other vendors selling the same Genuine BMW parts - including the dealership.

Edited by wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

8 hours ago, wegweiser said:

Are you using the part number for US or Euro version - and what year specifically? 

There were at least three different sets of part numbers for the US / No America rails:

up to 1973 (used captive carriage bolts for bumper brackets)

USA 1973 (used through bolts for bumper brackets)

USA 74-76 (had gigantic boxes for bumper shocks)

I bet ONE of these variants is still available, no? And it could be easily modified to suit your year / model.

The company "Restoration Design" lists frame rails and other OEM parts, but I have found their retail prices to be as much as 20-40% more than other vendors selling the same Genuine BMW parts - including the dealership.

I have a 72 2002. I looked at (what I assumed is a US part number). And basically everywhere I look its not available.  For example:  https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/Classic-BMW/1968/1602Sedan/Engine-support--left/1361314/41111840967.html

The frame rail uses captive carriage bolts as per the options you mentioned.  I was sooooo close to buying it last year but I figured I wouldn't start that part of the restoration until this summer so no need to keep it around.

I actually just came back from Restoration Design 2 weeks ago purchasing some items. That place is an hour away from me - so despite the prices being more then other suppliers, the convenience of me just driving is a thumbs up.

So now, I'm back to damage control, trying to scramble to see if I could find one.