• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under hood insulation

Tlambert

6 hours ago, Tlambert said:

Thanks, I'll order it. What should I use for adhesive?

Comes with peel and stick pre-adhesive stuff. And it's high quality adhesive. I've tried to "make my own" insulation and the hardest part, is finding an adhesive that works (I still haven't found one - and I've tried several "professional body shop" style products). Next time I'll just get the OE BMW stuff that Blunt sells. It works great.

Tip: The "different shaped" piece does NOT go in the center. And the center pc must pass beneath the hood support rod - and can be a tricky installation process. Many people install this incorrectly. Here's a photo of it properly installed as the factory did it. You'll notice the left piece is slightly smaller / narrower, than the center and right piece. 

imageproxy.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

8 hours ago, wegweiser said:

...Tip: The "different shaped" piece does NOT go in the center. And the center pc must pass beneath the hood support rod - and can be a tricky installation process. Many people install this incorrectly. Here's a photo of it properly installed as the factory did it. You'll notice the left piece is slightly smaller / narrower, than the center and right piece. 

imageproxy.jpg

Thank you, Paul,

Placing the pads symmetrically is an oft-made mistake among those who are trying to make their cars "original" in appearance and configuration.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)