• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Alternator 2002tii 1974

abe2002tii

PIA.....I have a stock AL40X alternator and I could not get it out from underneath.  The oil pan and the anti sway bar did not allow the alternator to sneak out no matter how I positioned it.  It may be the anti sway bar is a little larger in diameter than stock.... So I had to take the pulley/fan  off the alternator and then I was able to get it out. 

I am wondering if anyone had the same issue. My car has not been in any accidents....motor mounts looks good too so I do not think that was the cause of such a tight space.

Abe

Edited by abe2002tii

1 hour ago, abe2002tii said:

PIA.....I have a stock AL40X alternator and I could not get it out from underneath.  The oil pan and the anti sway bar did not allow the alternator to sneak out no matter how I positioned it.  It may be the anti sway bar is a little larger in diameter than stock.... So I had to take the pulley/fan  off the alternator and then I was able to get it out. 

I am wondering if anyone had the same issue. My car has not been in any accidents....motor mounts looks good too so I do not think that was the cause of such a tight space.

Abe

Not unusual.  Probably a larger anti-sway bar.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I've run into the same issue on my two tiis.  Both have beefier (Dinan) anti-sway bars.  I unbolt one side of the bar to get the alternator out.  It's still a PITA though...

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I know of no way to get the alternator out of a tii without unbolting the sway bar and sliding it forward. The alternator will then come out by rotating it exactly the right way and dropping it past the oil pan.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Stupid battery location with a weld in tray doesn't help. Replacing the alternator was one of the first things I did on my tii and that was with stock sway bars.  Steep learning curve for me.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I make sure I have a firm grip on the alternator.  Then I insert a Big Crowbar in there somewhere and shove the swaybar toward the passenger side.  The alternator then drops free .... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FIRM GRIP ON THE ALTERNATOR !!

NOW, if you've got a too-thick sway bar, it might not work ........

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Thanks 1

I loosen the shackle on the swaybar (driver's side) and even occasionally undo the end link bolts/nuts. Even then, like Rob says, it's a pain in the arse. Even with stock sway bars. 

I performed this repair in 1989....on the side of a Denver CO highway, en route from PA to Arizona...while lying in a pile of fire ants, after flagging a taxi to get me to Ralph Schomp BMW and back...to buy a tii alternator...that they miraculously had IN STOCK (!!!)  

At your home, this should be much less stressful. :) 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

6 hours ago, wegweiser said:

I performed this repair in 1989....on the side of a Denver CO highway, en route from PA to Arizona...while lying in a pile of fire ants, after flagging a taxi to get me to Ralph Schomp BMW and back...to buy a tii alternator...that they miraculously had IN STOCK (!!!)  

You forgot about the coyote gnawing on your feet as you were under the car and the rattlesnake that had curled up next to the engine to keep warm...

Actually I'm not surprised that Schomp had the part in stock.  I drove my first BMW at that dealership in the fall of 1967--a 2000CS coupe!  The lot was full of 6 volt 1600s, NK sedans and a few coupes...they're one of the oldest BMW dealerships in the US.

mike

• Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, mike said:

You forgot about the coyote gnawing on your feet as you were under the car and the rattlesnake that had curled up next to the engine to keep warm...

Actually I'm not surprised that Schomp had the part in stock.  I drove my first BMW at that dealership in the fall of 1967--a 2000CS coupe!  The lot was full of 6 volt 1600s, NK sedans and a few coupes...they're one of the oldest BMW dealerships in the US.

mike

I can still hear them howling, on dark, lonely nights..... *shiver*

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

On June 30, 2017 at 2:07 PM, abe2002tii said:

... So I had to take the pulley/fan  off the alternator and then I was able to get it out. 

Abe--yep, that is how I used to do it. Pretty straightforward. --Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)