• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Alternator 2002tii 1974

abe2002tii

15 lb sledgehammer.  4 lb engineer's hammer works in a pinch.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

• 4 years later...

Well I trying to remove my alternator now on my 1974 2002tii, I have radiator out at present because I doing the water pump and all the hoses. It does fit out through the top at all, it very close to coming out but just not enough clearance. So looks like I will have loosen the sway bar and take it out of the bottom as this post suggests.

Edited by davrianmad
Had finished writing it
  • Like 1

The first time I did a tii alternator was about 34 years ago...on the side of a Colorado interstate, near Denver. On my back...near a nest of fire ants...2200 miles from home. Good times.

Loosening the swaybar makes it doable...but it's never really "fun". Now is a good time to verify that the bracket is truly tight against the timing cover and block - as these can get loose, leading to damaged threads etc. 

• Haha 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I can't resist posting these two pictures, taken 13 June 2017, at a BMW Cars & Coffee here in Simi Valley ...... this is Abe's '74tii ....... during the get-together he was asking about alternator removal and such while we were enjoying some coffee (I think KenH picked up the coffee tab that day).

Then a mere 2 weeks later Abe got this "alternator removal" thread going .......

image.thumb.png.f54f404b04b214e0631dc1b91018ba8c.png

image.thumb.png.b8f2e1874ecd04987bddefcd958f0474.png

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 1