• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost my nuts (and bolts) driveshaft

Dudeland

Add more tight.  The guibo will fail if the angles are wrong...

Did you use new self- locking nuts?  I never do, but they say you're supposed to.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Those look like the proper OEM M10 bolts and nuts.  Years ago I used the wrong bolts and had nothing but trouble.  I've learned since.

Are you clamping the guibo before install?  I believe that a compressed guibo will give you straight (through) lines to tighten the bolts properly.  An un-compressed guibo can distort the pattern even before you start to tighten the bolts.   New guibos come clamped.

Buy a giant hose clamp from CanTire and compress the quibo.  It also makes the job easier.  REMOVE THE CLAMP ONCE THE BOLTS ARE IN PLACE.:)

Drive line angle and subsequent guibo distortion is another issue.  Re-assemble the drive line and look for forward-aft distortion of the quibo.  Not likely you have a problem.

DSC02378fx2.thumb.jpg.487ad56768b118934628afd6ee4b959f.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

one thing to remember is the bolts have to be installed facing in the right direction with the head of the bolt on the metal sleeve that is embedded in the rubber ( as shown in the picture above) if the bolt is reversed with the nut in that location it will work loose...Barney

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

13 minutes ago, BarneyT said:

one thing to remember is the bolts have to be installed facing in the right direction with the head of the bolt on the metal sleeve that is embedded in the rubber ( as shown in the picture above) if the bolt is reversed with the nut in that location it will work loose...Barney

Hmmm. That's not been my experience. For example, on the race cars, we install so that all the 8 of the nuts are on the 'front' of the giubo, with the bolts entering from the back (this can help save a transmission, should the rubber break).

Curious: What's the logic  / 'physics' of the nuts working themselves loose if not installed as you describe? -KB

ps: in photo above, it looks like SAE hardware was used ... if they're 9/16" heads, might be a little small to provide full contact on the metal sleeve?

16 hours ago, Dudeland said:

This looks like the correct bolt. Blue locktite as well?

IMG_1471.JPG

Those threads look pretty tired.  Are they all like that?

It may just be time to replace all the bolts and nuts with new hardware.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

kbmb02

...years ago I had the same problem in changing out the giubo myself, being a carpenter and not a mechanic I did what was easier all the bolts facing one direction, After a drink from the local 2002 fountain of knowledge Terry Sayther he pointed out that a the giubo flexs under load and that the rubber can work/rub against the nut and loosen it over time...I'm still not a mechanic but I have friends that are...

• Thanks 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

and it is actually specified from bmw to mount the bolts that way.  there is an arrow  at each bolt location on newer quibo's pointing in the direction the bolt is supposed to go....

to OP...those bolts and nuts look tired.  get new ones.  the proper new lock nuts should be tight the whole time you are wrenching them on.  if you can turn it by hand at all, toss it out.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

1 hour ago, kbmb02 said:

ps: in photo above, it looks like SAE hardware was used ... if they're 9/16" heads, might be a little small to provide full contact on the metal sleeve?

Guilty as charged.  Those bolts were a rookie mistake and came loose a couple of times.  Replaced with OEM M10 guibo bolts and lock nuts and haven't had any issues since.  It's been 5 years.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

15 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Are you clamping the guibo before install?  I believe that a compressed guibo will give you straight (through) lines to tighten the bolts properly.  An un-compressed guibo can distort the pattern even before you start to tighten the bolts.   New guibos come clamped.

Buy a giant hose clamp from CanTire and compress the quibo.  It also makes the job easier.  REMOVE THE CLAMP ONCE THE BOLTS ARE IN PLACE.:)

Plenty of good advice in this thread. However I have never had an issue with installing an uncompressed guibo. There was another thread on this recently, I just tap the guibo with a rubber mallet to compress it while pushing in the last few bolts. Never used a torque wrench for these, just a bit more effort than the normal "good-n-tite". Never had them come loose. I use factory locknuts, but not blue loctite.

Oh yeah, one time after installing a new guibo I put it in gear and then heard that "ping!" from the factory clamp I forget to remove :)

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

1 hour ago, BarneyT said:

kbmb02

...years ago I had the same problem in changing out the giubo myself, being a carpenter and not a mechanic I did what was easier all the bolts facing one direction, After a drink from the local 2002 fountain of knowledge Terry Sayther he pointed out that a the giubo flexs under load and that the rubber can work/rub against the nut and loosen it over time...I'm still not a mechanic but I have friends that are...

I remain curious .. how is that the rubber can turn a nut, but not turn the bolt head if installed 'backwards' ...?

mltyle: Specifications? Aren't you the fellow who suggested folks don't need to safety wire the strut bolts? Be consistent in your pontification =).  I've yet to see an 8-bolt giubo which has directional arrows on it (though I do see the arrows on the 6 bolt variety).  -KB

3 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

mltyle: Specifications? Aren't you the fellow who suggested folks don't need to safety wire the strut bolts? Be consistent in your pontification =).  I've yet to see an 8-bolt giubo which has directional arrows on it (though I do see the arrows on the 6 bolt variety).  -KB

yup.  correct.  folks don't need to safety wire strut bolts...IF THEY USE LOCTITE.  i am very  consistent in my advice. LOCTITE was not in common use back when 2002 factory manuals were written.   it works wonderfully today.  take apart any newer BMW.  look at all the blind bolts (like strut bolts are) and what do you find?  LOCTITE.  safety wire is a thing of the past.

and OP said AFTER A 5spd conversion.  5spd conversions most often use the newer 6 bolt guibos...which have the bolt direction arrows.

nice try.......can i help you with anything else?  :)

Edited by mlytle

2xM3