• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint and body in north Dallas-plano area??

Highnote1

Hey Guys

I am almost at the half way point of rust repair with new passenger side floor, fenders, and rockers in. I am about to dig into the driver side and then would like to leave paint and body to the pros. 

Does anyone have have any recommendations for anyone in the area for this task? I have looked online but would love to know if someone has a company to recommend for our cars in particular. 

I am not building a show car but want a finish that looks professional. 

Thanks in advance!

Well it depends who wants to do such cars (example Herb's & Service King won't touch them) and some shops don't know the nuances of our cars (more focused on muscle car types.  The good places (like Stewart's in Garland) quoted me $12K, when I asked if there was a lower tier program, he said he can't because of his quality reputation; for those types it all or nothing, which I do respect.

My strategy was good, fast, cheap, which two do you want.  I didn't want "concor de arrogance" but something that looks like a good daily driver.  I know of one guy in Denton who did mine and a neighbor who runs a custom hot rod shop but takes a while (he does commissions) 

I would go to local meets and ask. lot of the shops are case by case regarding quoting assessments (eye ball you/size you up on how much you can spend).

it's hard to find someone that wants to do a complete repaint any more, they all want to repaint a fender or hood for $2500 on an insurance claim...you will have to pay close to 9/10k to get it does has been my experience in Austin,Texas...in Dallas probably more...Barney

this is the third 2002 I've had completely repainted in Georgetown north of Austin at a small shop...car has bee there three months and counting

016.JPG

015.JPG

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

When I had my tii painted in Houston, I did as Capt'n Manley suggested, and asked local folks with restored cars who did their paint and whether they'd use that place again.  A hand full of restos show at the Cars & Coffee at Classic BMW, often even 2002s.  You might start there.

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

Yeah. Thanks. I have a 2000 Mcoupe as well that I have brought to cars and coffee a few times. It is crazy crowded now but usually not any O2s. 

I saw a black one there once but that is it. I met a guy named Edgar over in Mansfield that has sold me some parts. Great guy. He is all I have met so far. 

Would love to meet some more locally!